Hardware Cloth......trying to save some $$$

CrotonChickens

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 23, 2011
All -- quick question -- we need another 8' of hardware cloth to go around the bottom of our coop (we are burying it). However, we don't want to have to spend another $40 on another roll of 25'. How much *better* and/or *safer* is it? We want to make sure we are predator proof and will likely have raccoons. We live in northeast (westchester county).

Thank you!
smile.png

Don't be cheap on the skirting, a digger is used to digging thru hard packed ground so keep that in mind. It doesn't have to be hardware cloth on the skirt, just about any welded or woven wire with holes 2x4 or less will stop them. If you do use hardware cloth, it never hurts to have some extra stashed away to repair or cover a additional vent or problem area.

Why hassle with digging in wire? Why not just attach one edge of the wire to the run and let it lay? It disappears as the grass grows thru it and can be mowed over it. It stops digging at the surface rather than after a hole is started. Wire laid on the ground allows you to lift it to move the run if you decide on a better spot for your birds. Laying the wire on the ground covers any low spots in the yard between the bottom rail and the ground that create inviting gaps. Why dig up the ground to bury wire and loosen it for the critter, making it easier for them? And finally, it's hard work burying wire and creates a muddy mess when it rains untill the grass grows back.

I guess I should have read bryan's response before I made my last response. Oh well. I do agree with bryan all the way. Lay the fencing along the groung and attach the edges to the run. Then stake the outter edges down every so often untill grass grows up through it.

All good thoughts -- thanks! I have read in too many posts about critters digging under and up into a run. That's why we are burying it. I do see your point about being able to use wire that is closely knit though. I feel if we just lay it on the ground it will make it easier for a digger to dig as opposed to digging down 10" and then back up.

I think the idea is that a critter will try to dig right up next to the fence and be stopped by the apron. They wouldn't know to go out 2 feet and try again. We did bury ours but that was before I read about using a flat apron.

Back
Top Bottom