Hardware cloth type?

TwistedTayy

Songster
Apr 30, 2021
Douglasville, GA
Im trying to price materials for my runs and I am also doing a multi-pen system inside the coop so I am trying to save money where I can. I for sure want to go with 19 ga PVC coating no matter the size.

I was wondering if I could get away with 1x1 for the run or 1x2. I also found 1x1 19 ga chicken hex, pic coated. Another option would be to have 1/2" outdoors on the runs and a larger size on the interior. I plan on not allowing the birds access to runs at night and being safely locked up. The runs will have a solid roof. I will also be doing a Carolina coops - style (non-HC) skirt.

Predators we have seen: opossum, raccoon, rats (BIG ones), hawks, dogs, cats, voles, squirrels
Other predators we have in the area: bobcats, coyotes, fox

1/2 inch on all exterior exposed parts of the run. Larger is OK for the interior. If you plan to hatch chicks, they can get through some tiny spaces.
Sounds like you have a good plan in place.
Yeah Im going to have a dedicated built in brooder and I think im going to fashion some sort of removable plywood pieces for if I separate/allow broodies to hatch their own chicks.

The small predators are really only threats to them so I wondered if 1x1 or 1x2 would be suitable for the outdoor predators

Yeah Im going to have a dedicated built in brooder and I think im going to fashion some sort of removable plywood pieces for if I separate/allow broodies to hatch their own chicks.

The small predators are really only threats to them so I wondered if 1x1 or 1x2 would be suitable for the outdoor predators
Raccoons can reach in 1 x 1 and 1 x 2.

No chicken wire hexes -- dogs, coyotes, and raccoons tear right through it and rats, snakes, and weasels slip right through it. (You have coyotes even if you don't think you do).

1/2' hardware cloth is the most predator resistant and also small enough to keep rodents and weasels out.

Some people back 1" chicken wire with 2x4 wire if they happen to have it on hand.

We considered 1" hardware cloth for our apron but found that it cost more than the 1/2" anyway and was harder to source.

Back
Top Bottom