Hardware cloth versus welded wire.

Pics
View attachment 2634038

Photography is one of my hobbies and this racoon is reeeeeally getting to me but I couldn't let the opportunity pass without getting a shot, haha. Met him again last night, this time no wire between us. 😬
Lol, I’d be way more comfortable with wire between us at night. Photography is not one of my hobbies, which is why I’m asking you if I can use your pics.🤣📸 Would that be okay? Of course, totally fine if you don’t want to. I just think they’re cute and funny.

There is a better way, predator-proof your coop. Just like you are asking here about. There are so many risks that come along with using the .22 approach, even here in the thread someone mentioned someone accidentally shooting one of their own animals. And it doesn’t solve the problem, their little raccoon cousins will be here a week from now. Poison and killing are the worst answers when there is a much more permanent solution. Just proof your coop and they’ll get dinner someplace else. 🍝🙂
This is what I want - a predator-proof coop. I've never liked killing. I was really frustrated when I considered it. I know I couldn't go through with killing it.

Yeah, I wondered about that. If there would be more after even if these two were gone. I was hoping they would just go somewhere else. I take all feed out of the run at night so they also can't get dinner (since they are still finding their way in). They still check every night though.

Lol, I’d be way more comfortable with wire between us at night. Photography is not one of my hobbies, which is why I’m asking you if I can use your pics.🤣📸 Would that be okay? Of course, totally fine if you don’t want to. I just think they’re cute and funny.
Same!!! ...although with opossums, I'm fine without the wire. Petted one with a pole a while back. 🤣 I wouldn't touch the raccoon with a pole with or without wire. 😂

Haha, sure you may use the photos! 😁

Same!!! ...although with opossums, I'm fine without the wire. Petted one with a pole a while back. 🤣 I wouldn't touch the raccoon with a pole with or without wire. 😂

Haha, sure you may use the photos! 😁
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

Lol, could not imagine petting a possum, I don’t even like making eye contact with those. I guess I could pet a raccoon I’d raised from a baby, but that ain’t gonna happen. 🤣🦝 Earlyish on in the pandemic, when people were in more and animals were out more I was sitting at the dining room table, looked up, and a juvenile coyote walked up and looked through the window for a short while.👀

I used screws and washers when I attached the chicken wire, but the washers are already rusting out after a year. What kind of washers did you get? Mine must not have been weather-proof.
I ordered stainless steel washers from a marine supply. If it's good enough to be used on water/in wet environments, then rust isn't going to be an issue.
Ooooooooohhhhh I see! (By the way, your run looks NICE. 🤩)
Not mine, just a very good clear example of an apron.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

Lol, could not imagine petting a possum, I don’t even like making eye contact with those. I guess I could pet a raccoon I’d raised from a baby, but that ain’t gonna happen. 🤣🦝 Earlyish on in the pandemic, when people were in more and animals were out more I was sitting at the dining room table, looked up, and a juvenile coyote walked up and looked through the window for a short while.👀
You're welcome! :love

Opossums don't seem to be aggressive unless there are babies involved. Years ago, I almost accidentally made a pet out of one. She came when I fed a feral cat population. I started making her a plate of her own (cat food isn't nutritionally complete for an opposed) and she really liked bananas. I never petted her, but I did pet (one stroke counts, right? 😆) her son who visited me. The hair is like wire, it's not very pleasant to pet. I don't recommend it. 😂

The one I petted with a pole was because he was in my chicken run and I wanted him out. And he wouldn't leave. I thought I could scare him out by poking him with a pole. Ended up petting him with a pole instead. He's getting in where the raccoon breaks in. The raccoon does the work, and then the opossum joins him for dinner. 🤦‍♀️

IMG_6508.JPG

IMG_6518.JPG

You can see the wire above his head isn't attached to anything. That's where they got in. This is fixed now. I know opossums can kill chickens, but this guy came looking for leftover chicken feed. Never tried to get into the house or anything like the raccoon is doing. So he doesn't worry me as much.

Ooohhh maybe I'd pet a raccoon if I raised it, I'm not sure. I probably would if it was an opossum I raised. 😆

A coyote?! 😱 Wow!! I'd be nervous and excited at the same time. Nervous because it's a coyote. Excited because I'd want photos. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom