*HARDWARE CLOTH.....What is it?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DouglasPeeps, Mar 3, 2008.

1. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Please forgive me if this has been asked before, but I have searched and haven't found the answer. [​IMG]

I have seen on numerous threads that hardware cloth should be added to windows or to the bottom of the chicken run etc.... What exactly is hardware cloth? I have 3 windows in my chicken coup that have screens on them. We used 1 in. chicken wire around our run. I realize that the screens are not safe on the windows, so I would like some information on hardware cloth.

Thanks for your help![​IMG]

2. TerrasCritters

TerrasCritters In a new coop

Oct 24, 2007
    Its also called Wire Mesh, or Cage Wire. Your local farm garden feed stores should have it!
    Good luck!

3. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Hardware cloth is like screen, comes with either 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 inch spaces between the wires, for windows I would go ahead and use chicken wire to cover.

4. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Hardware cloth is like wire fencing, but with small, square "holes". It comes in different sizes, like 1" or 1/2". I found it near us at Tractor Supply Co., and I'd bet you can also find it at garden centers and landscape nurseries. The "cloth" part of the name threw me off at first. It's very stiff, strong, galvanized wire. The kind I bought was actually called 'wire mesh'. Hope this helps.

5. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
  6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  7. Pittboss

Pittboss New Egg

Jan 8, 2008
    st. louis, MO
    i just bought some at ace hardware.