*HARDWARE CLOTH.....What is it?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DouglasPeeps, Mar 3, 2008.

  1. DouglasPeeps

    DouglasPeeps Songster

    Feb 26, 2008
    Please forgive me if this has been asked before, but I have searched and haven't found the answer. [​IMG]

    I have seen on numerous threads that hardware cloth should be added to windows or to the bottom of the chicken run etc.... What exactly is hardware cloth? I have 3 windows in my chicken coup that have screens on them. We used 1 in. chicken wire around our run. I realize that the screens are not safe on the windows, so I would like some information on hardware cloth.

    Thanks for your help![​IMG]
  2. TerrasCritters

    TerrasCritters In a new coop

    Oct 24, 2007
    Its also called Wire Mesh, or Cage Wire. Your local farm garden feed stores should have it!
    Good luck!
  3. AK-Bird-brain

    AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

    May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Hardware cloth is like screen, comes with either 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 inch spaces between the wires, for windows I would go ahead and use chicken wire to cover.
  4. Moselle

    Moselle Songster

    Jan 17, 2008
    Hardware cloth is like wire fencing, but with small, square "holes". It comes in different sizes, like 1" or 1/2". I found it near us at Tractor Supply Co., and I'd bet you can also find it at garden centers and landscape nurseries. The "cloth" part of the name threw me off at first. It's very stiff, strong, galvanized wire. The kind I bought was actually called 'wire mesh'. Hope this helps.
  5. countryboy

    countryboy Songster

    Oct 31, 2007
  6. MissPrissy

    MissPrissy Crowing

    May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  7. Pittboss

    Pittboss Hatching

    Jan 8, 2008
    st. louis, MO
    i just bought some at ace hardware.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: