1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hardware cloth

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KayNova, Jun 13, 2017.

1. KayNova

KayNova Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2017
    Anyone have any recommendations on websites for hardware cloth. Best pricing for a large amount. We have a beautiful (and huge) run for the chickens. Which is going to cost a lot to coon proof. Also need for double protection in the coop. I'm super paranoid. Also open to other recommendations on what to us that may be more cost effective.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Used 10x10x6ft dog kennels---close up gaps around the doors. These kennel panels will only be getting broke in good when your hardware cloth has had it. So Much Stronger.

3. KayNova

KayNova Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2017
    Is that cheap? Where would you buy in bulk?

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I guess you are asking me if chain-link panels are that cheap? Really they are free to use as long as you want---then resale them to get your money back-----try that with any other type of fencing. Sure you have to lay down the money to get them, but that's ok when you know you can get it back anytime you want(resale). I bought my first 2 used in 1995---payed $65 for one and $75 for the other. I been using them for 22 years and I could put them on sale today and get $100 each back---that's Using them for 22 years and Make money---that's better than free. Plus you can install the 4 sides in 5 to 10 minutes by yourself. No driving post, no digging post, no unrolling wire, no cutting wire, no nailing wire, no tightening wire, no having to make doors, simple.

This one section done by myself at 59 years old, 150ft long by 10ft wide, 17 pens, took one afternoon to set-up and I finished putting the netting across the top the next morning. As I said----Simple.
    [​IMG]

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Amazon has the best price on HC....shipping is free because of price of product.

6. Kellycbf

Kellycbf Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2017
    Midwest US
    Walmart.com also is competitive to amazon. Both sites, the price can go up and down quickly. There is another thread about hardware cloth on the first page of this forum today.

7. misskes

misskes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2017
    I bought my hardware cloth off of Amazon for about $1 a foot

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    For what width?
    Price can be misleading without know size.

9. misskes

misskes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2017
    3 feet

aart likes this.
  10. imnukensc

imnukensc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2017
    Columbia, SC
    Hardware cloth seems to "rule the roost" here, but I don't use it at all. I use 1/2 inch by 1 inch welded/galvanized wire. Much stronger than hardware cloth and easier to work with IMO.

ChickaSuzy and PD-Riverman like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by