Hardware for Plastic Playhouse Coop?

I would likely use modified truss head screws, or screws with washers and screw it just to one side of the plastic not all the way through both sides due to protrusion. If you’re concerned with that not being enough, maybe run a bead of silicone, e-6000, hot glue, etc in addition to anchor it.

If using the flashing I’d probably attach over the windows with a bead of sealant, then screws.

Thank you! I actually just spray painted it a few days ago

as far as rain, no, there is a little overhang I suppose. If it’s super windy, I simply lift the roof and slide a trash bag to block . The plastic house had water inside some of the hollow walls so we just drilled on the bottom and it comes right out .
Forgot to mention, I used screws with washers to hold chicken wire to plastic and did not drill thru both layers of plastic and has help up well for me. My toddlers push against the wire constantly.
Ventilation is so great, there’s virtually zero smell inside, the roosting bar is above a plastic table and it’s super easy for me to scrape off maybe once every few months .
I’m in Kansas and our winters Can get pretty cold. I’m converting a free playhouse into a roost for a couple roosters. Have either of you tried foam insulation? I bought some cans and thought I’d try it out. I can’t find anything on anybody else trying it so wonder if you have read/ watched anything warning against it. My concern is it may crack the plastic If too much is put in.

I thought about that but it’s got windows on all 4 sides and I’ll be adding a base to it with vents to add a cleaning drawer that can easily be pulled out for cleaning.

I doubt that playhouse will keep the birds dry.....no roof overhang.

Yes, a wooden coop without a proper roof for protection will rot.
I’ve seen were people have fashioned gutters made from pvc pipes that will drain into a water barrel and used later to water the chickens. I’m Giving it a go and let y’all know how it works!

How many chickens do you have?
If it's more than 2-3, then I think it's a bad idea to keep them there. Why don't you build a proper coop, even if it's a small one? Especially since you mentioned having problems with raccoons. It is not worth it, considering the amount of time, effort, and money you spend. But, if you decide to keep this one, besides the long screws, you can also use the self-tapping screws (https://www.scrooz.com.au/screws/self-tapping-screws/). It looks like it is going to be a good fit.

Back
Top Bottom