Hardy Coops

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kherokee, Jan 6, 2015.

1. kherokee

kherokee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2014
    Connecticut
    Id like to know if you guys recommend any brands or ideas for strong coops? All my chickens are pets and come when called and id be able to watch them when I get home, but I have a hawk that lives right next to me. I live near a little forest where coyotes, foxes, raccoons, and even wolves have made often visits. Do you guys know of some ways I can protect my birds but also give them a large place to run when im not home? Ive seen a lot of coops with runs but chicken wire and that space they usually give will not be enough.

Any ideas or brands or pictures of your own coops would be very much appreciated! [​IMG]

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    A run with hardware cloth is what you need/want. This is mine:

[​IMG]

I've seen people use dog runs made of chain-link with a tarp or wire top and hardware cloth run around the bottom couple of feet to thwart raccoons reaching in.

3. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    We use regular dog fencing on our 2x4 frame then did a layer of chicken wire around the bottom of that. Ours is on concrete so nothing can dig (we also just free range so they're not on concrete all day), but you could either dig down a good two feet with your wiring or you can have it spread out (bend it underground) a good two feet so nothing can dig next to or under your coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by