Hardy Kiwi, Do or Don't?

Mtnboomer

Crowing
Mar 17, 2019
Southwest Virginia (mountains)
Ok, so as you may know, I am into edible landscapes in addition to gardening. An addition I am excited to add to our yard this year is hardy kiwi. However, i have heard that some New England states are fighting to add it to their local invasive species lists while others are fighting to keep it off. Here in VA, some counties have it listed as a threat but not invasive yet.

My understanding is that it is not invasive by the typical means (viable fruit that is spread by bird and animal) but its growth is so vigorous that when left unmanaged, it will take over an area.

Those in support of the plant say that the examples of natualization are from 100 yr old plants gone awry and that current growers who prune annually have had no "escapes."
I was curious if anyone here grows them or has examples of them seeding themselves in the wild. I do not want to introduce a problem to my area, but at the same time i plan to have it growing on a free standing trellis away from adjacent trees. It will be pruned to promote health znd fruit production.

Thoughts?

I have had mine for 3 or 4 years and haven't had any kiwis yet..
JPEG_20200329_195310_249799197764908016.jpg

I think I may have found the problem... This site (https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/kiwi/kiwi-plant-not-flowering.htm)
says that kiwis generally need three years or more to mature before they start blooming and fruiting.

(I've never tried to raise kiwis. But I'm thinking about starting. I'm not just nosey, promise.)
Thanks I can’t remember for sure how long I have had it. I told hubs if it didn’t start doing something I was cutting it down.. lol. Now I will wait to see what happens.

I as hoping someone would post with more experience so I knew what is up. I do need to trim it some.

Back
Top Bottom