Non-Heated, Open-Air Coop in Northern Climates: Yes or No?

And, when I use a Celsius - Fareinheit convertor on google to see what C equals in F, and write temps like, say, -30°C, the conversion says -86 F in response. Link here: https://www.google.ca/search?ei=9SP...1.1.64.psy-ab..5.5.828...0i67k1.0.e04nE0T-fBQ
Worked fine for me

upload_2018-4-7_17-49-14.png

I have no clue how fareinheit works to be honest, I was taught celsius at school and the weather radio only uses celsius too. I'm sorry if my temps are inadequate in fareinheit >///<
Doesn't matter which you use, just label it C or F.

I keep chanteclers and Bantam Orpingtons near Edmonton AB, so as cold as Quebec but drier. Chantecler roosters got some frostbite at about -35c one year. Orpingtons got some at about -25c this year in a sheltered raised roost open at the bottom - a pallet.

Most of the birds are in a coop that is basically a shed with the top half insulated. A window near ground level stays open almost always, (their entry), and other windows open a bit depending on weather. An oil filled heater set low is in there and raised the temp about 10c. No electricity data, sorry.

The other birds are in chicken tractors that don't move in the winter. Roof over most of the area, and protected from wind at one end.
1 tractor gets an "igloo" dog house for a small coop, and the other now (post frostbite) gets a 3'x3'x3' crate (1M sides). The tractor coops now get 100 watt outdoor lights bought at Canadian tire for a bit of heat. The lights are red but not infrared. 1 attached them to small bits of plywood so i could move them.

+30C = +86F
-30C = -22F

Gotta make sure you have your negative sign on there!

Attachments

• A36BF853-0638-4EA4-92DF-3C7A62A93D41.png
    A36BF853-0638-4EA4-92DF-3C7A62A93D41.png
    204.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 4FC3B5C1-22FC-412E-BD06-A392413A2DDD.png
    4FC3B5C1-22FC-412E-BD06-A392413A2DDD.png
    203.5 KB · Views: 3
For parasites, you might want to move the birds out for 24 hours when it's very cold, letting the cold in to the coop. It works to kill human mites in pillows.

For water I use Heated pet bowls, best seem to be wide and shallow.

My chickens didn't have any heating last year exept for the heat from their stacked poop and hay, and their beautiful feathers all of my 33 birds together made them all able to drink, eat, and ocassonally go out into the snow (I plowed & put staw outside though)! And this was in (-40C ) to -20 :D ( my seven ducks were even dandy!!! highly reccomend not artifically heating my neighbors did and in -40 they didnt fare to well .. :D best of luck

Back
Top Bottom