Hardy Pheasants

lee miller1

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2016
Hey!
I just have one question which type of pheasant is the best for release? I have been looking at stocking a property for the birds to naturally reproduce. There wouldn’t be any hunting allowed on the property. I have been looking at McFarlane and have been trying to figure out what breeds would be best.

Thanks!
Lee miller

Thank you so much for the info! I live in Utah and they have a permit which allows the release of pheasants on a set plot of land. We do have some wild pheasants but I would love to see more! I live in a farming community which many small farms. Lots of the farms practice irrigation so that means ditch banks and lots of fence lines. Hopefully I can get a population started!
Thanks again

Alberta, Canada. If I get some I’ll piggyback them on our ringneck order. Thank you for the tip!

I just looked it up, it’s about 1800miles and one International border crossing, lol. Someday a fall tour of the NE States will happen, but no time soon, unfortunately.
Hey hillbillyreefer, look into joining the Phasianus group on Facebook. Lots of pheasant breeders and fanciers from all over the world, even James Pharr is in the group. Mainly it's peeps interested in the true pheasants but there are others involved with the orinmentals. A great place to find what your looking for or just looking at what we true pheasant breeders have in our collections.

Seriously are you kidding me. DEC has people raise thousands of birds and release into the wild every year. Ive been helping them for 20 years so before you give a negative comment make sure you know what your talking aboutX2

Ring necks are about the hardiest of the pheasants. They are also extremely aggressive which makes housing and rearing them much more difficult and space consuming. If you purchase chicks ask for them to have peepers on before delivery, or if they are too young have them send peepers and pins for you to put on.

McFarlane has excellent birds. We import them all the way into Western Canada. They are very good to deal with and have excellent information on their site on raising birds to point of release or breeding.

Here is a picture of 1500 Roosters in the makeshift load out pen. They were all caught, beak guards removed crated and gone in just over an hour. Total mayhem, lol.
FE3DE727-149F-48A5-8604-4F62AFD368BB.jpeg

Check your local regulations for rules on releasing birds, I’ve heard of areas that restrict releases in order to help minimize disease risk in wild populations. Some places require permits to prove the birds were purchased rather than wild trapped. McFalanes will most likely know the rules for your area.

Enjoy, but do a lot of research first, these are not beginner birds. The only similarity with chickens is that they have feathers, and are delicious, lol!

Also another question. Out of MacFarlane birds would Manchurian/Ringneck Cross, melanistic mutant, or regular ringneck do the best at reproducing in the wild?

Wow what a nice looking flock of birds,no feathers missing,all have nice long tails too.Someone has some good breeding stock there.
In N.H.,Tony.
Ring necks are about the hardiest of the pheasants. They are also extremely aggressive which makes housing and rearing them much more difficult and space consuming. If you purchase chicks ask for them to have peepers on before delivery, or if they are too young have them send peepers and pins for you to put on.

McFarlane has excellent birds. We import them all the way into Western Canada. They are very good to deal with and have excellent information on their site on raising birds to point of release or breeding.

Here is a picture of 1500 Roosters in the makeshift load out pen. They were all caught, beak guards removed crated and gone in just over an hour. Total mayhem, lol. View attachment 1207947

Check your local regulations for rules on releasing birds, I’ve heard of areas that restrict releases in order to help minimize disease risk in wild populations. Some places require permits to prove the birds were purchased rather than wild trapped. McFalanes will most likely know the rules for your area.

Enjoy, but do a lot of research first, these are not beginner birds. The only similarity with chickens is that they have feathers, and are delicious, lol!

Back
Top Bottom