Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING!

@CluckNDoodle can you take out the turner or shut it off?

Yes, both. You can shut off the turner by unplugging the turner cord on the back of the incubator or by reducing the number of days till hatch on the read out. It will automatically stop turning for lockdown but you want to remove the turner before hatch either way because they will get stuck if they try to hatch in the horizontal turner. You gently just pull up on the turner and the eggs remain in place for lockdown or in my case I still take them out to candle them and put down the no skid liner for lockdown.

Yes, both. You can shut off the turner by unplugging the turner cord on the back of the incubator or by reducing the number of days till hatch on the read out. It will automatically stop turning for lockdown but you want to remove the turner before hatch either way because they will get stuck if they try to hatch in the horizontal turner. You gently just pull up on the turner and the eggs remain in place for lockdown or in my case I still take them out to candle them and put down the no skid liner for lockdown.
I’ve been vertical hatch omg. It’s so clean with quail.

You should still be able to do that in the NR360. You may just need to cut the carton to size. I'm actually afraid to hatch quail this year because I want to keep them, lol! :)
They’re really quiet. I honestly like them more than the chickens.

I am done adding to my chicken flock. I’m working on quail for the next couple years.

20200810_104053.jpg

There's a better shot of the younger Barred Rock x GLW chick. It's 3 weeks today, looking way more BR than the other crosses. But it does have the rose comb.

Just fired up my NR360 last night for a test run. I’m expecting my first hatching eggs in 2 weeks. I decided to go all in with guns blazing. My first set of hatching eggs will be…drum roll please…French Black Copper Marans from the Greenfire line. Shipped, no less :D

Go big or go home I always say!

Good gawd y’all what have I done? Please just laugh with me!

View attachment 1688630
I know with Spring right around the corner, and chick fever setting in there are a lot of people out there looking to purchase their first incubator, or maybe you're still looking for that incubator with a better hatch rate that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg, so I wanted to share my experience!

I did a lot of research before purchasing an incubator and there are good and bad reviews for even the most expensive incubators out there so taking my budget into account and what I wanted from my incubator I am SO happy with the results I got from my new Harris Farms Nurture Right 360! If you do your own research on the incubator most of the bad reviews you will find are on a couple of design flaws in the older models where the holes covering the fan were too large and it needed a cover on the digital readout to prevent it from shorting out from the high humidity at hatch time. In the newer models, these issues have been resolved but if you get an older incubator you can email the company and they will send you the appropriate parts to fix it.

View attachment 1688764
So back to the PROS of this incubator, at least for me!
- It comes with an automatic turner! I found that the most reasonable incubators often require manual egg turning and if you purchase the accompanying auto turner you find yourself around the same price as this incubator or more.
- It also has an egg candler built-in to the top of the incubator. It worked well for the sake of testing it but I will admit that I didn't use it much because I prefer my little high lumen flashlight.
- The visibility all the way around the incubator was a HUGE selling point for me! I could say it was for my daughter to be able to learn from the experience but if I'm being really honest, I most definitely spent the most hours sitting in front of the incubator in awe as the chicks hatched. lol
- The temperature and humidity stayed stable throughout the entire incubation process as long as you add distilled water daily. :thumbsup
- You add water from outside of the incubator so you don't disturb the temp and humidity.
- The company calibrated the thermometer and hygrometer well and I didn't have to go through the headache of trying to adjust it myself.
- This is thanks to the visibility as well but I was able to clearly see that all of the chicks hatched with zero issues. The eggs zipped cleanly and chicks were healthy! Yes, some of this is from genetics but it makes a big difference when the temp and humidity stay stable for the chicks ease of hatching.
- Because I was incubating different breeds my smaller eggs hatched earlier and I didn't want to leave the chicks in too long. Since the larger eggs hadn't pipped yet I took the risk of quickly opening the incubator and removing the hatched chicks. While I don't recommend doing that, what I was pleasantly surprised to find is that the humidity returned to normal in seconds and the rest of the chicks hatched without issue.

View attachment 1688718
CONS
- The top is a bit cumbersome to open and close but once you get used to it it's not so bad. I have also seen where someone used the adhesive plastic hooks and attached them to the sides upside down so that it was easier to hook their fingers under and open.
- The incubator holds 22 eggs but I feel like it would be very cramped in there if all of the eggs are viable at the time of hatch. I had quite a few infertile eggs because they were the first eggs of the season (8 infertile eggs to be exact) and 2 were quitters early in embryo development (it's impossible for me to know if the 2 quitters were due to the incubator or something else but I feel with my experience that it's less likely to be related to the incubator). All but one of the developed chicks hatched successfully and I candled right before lockdown and didn't feel good about that egg prior to closing the lid. It was also a poopy egg that I was hatching for a friend, I typically only use clean eggs as the bacteria can enter the porous shell and may have been responsible for the late embryo death. So my first run with the incubator gave me approximately 80% hatch rate (not including the infertile eggs). I anticipate having an even better hatch when I'm pickier about the eggs I set to begin with. - I'll update this later.

View attachment 1688773

***I promise all of these pictures were taken through the plastic. I did not open the incubator to take pictures. lol

For anyone that reads this far through the thread I would assume you're actually interested in the incubator. So the best tip I have is that I used a condiment bottle to add the water and I left the vent open all the way through the entire incubation because I felt the ventilation was important and it didn't effect my ability to keep the humidity where I wanted it.
View attachment 1688789

So my experience was great! I'd love to hear about your experiences with the Nurture Right 360!
I'll be participating in the Easter Hatch-A-Long with the same incubator so I will update my opinion if it changes. :jumpy
I find your experience very interesting. I'm barely know anything as of yet, but I am going to learn fast. An incubator is one thing I am really wanting to invest in. This really helps for when the time does present itself for me to purchase one. I am truly excited to learn more so I may proceed in purchasing anything I need and want.

Thank You for the great and thorough review, it helps SO MUCH for those of us that want to enjoy this hobby and barely know anything when attempting to set up.

Back
Top Bottom