Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING!

How are they looking? I'm sure you've had a few hatch. I'm super excited to hear the dropped egg pipped. I know you were worried about that one.

5 babies are out this morning. Three are still pipping. Two haven't started yet.

Here's the little fella from the cracked egg. I really wasn't sure if he was going to make it out. He started pipping right near a hunk of beeswax. He pipped through and then progress stalled so I wasn't sure. Then all of a sudden, he was out! 😊

20210306_093248.jpg

I have 3 eggs that are pipping but haven't really made any progress at all. Their pips look like they did last night. How long do you usually wait before intervening?

I usually wait until all actively hatching chicks are done hatching before I check on any of the stragglers unless I'm positive something is amiss but especially when you're not familiar with time frames and what to look for it's always better to wait. It can take up to 24 hours from external pip to zip.

I have 3 eggs that are pipping but haven't really made any progress at all. Their pips look like they did last night. How long do you usually wait before intervening?
I intervened once and it was a tragic error. If the chick isn't strong enough to get out on it's own, it's not going to make it if you try to help.

I intervened once and it was a tragic error. If the chick isn't strong enough to get out on it's own, it's not going to make it if you try to help.

I rarely lose an assisted chick so this isn't always the case but I do always recommend to wait. Especially when the hatch is progressing as it should.

I'm not going to intervene any time soon... I was just wondering how long people waited before you do... I have read stories on both sides from people who had good outcomes and bad. I know it is not an easy decision and each case is determined on its own circumstances. In general, I figure if a chick is going to die in the shell after 24 - 36 hours, then what is there really to lose? If the situation begins looking grim, you can't really hurt your odds....

Baby #6 just arrived.... 😊 Four more to go.

20210306_115600.jpg

I will have to disagree with you here. Shipped eggs have greater odds of being malpositioned. Their air cells are more often than not disrupted. Normally has nothing to do with the strength of the chick or its genetics. The majority of the chicks I have had to assist are perfectly healthy. Agree though it can go terribly wrong if done too early. 😊

I'm not going to intervene any time soon... I was just wondering how long people waited before you do... I have read stories on both sides from people who had good outcomes and bad.
I'm not sure there is an hour count of when to intervene.
At least 24 hours after an external pip(thru the air cell).
48 hours for an external pip that's not thru the air cell.
As long as the beak is exposed and chick can breathe it's best to wait.

Back
Top Bottom