Harry

BrandonsBirbs

Thanks HopKat for my PFM ♥
Feb 22, 2022
Berkshire, England
20220928_205818.jpg

Meet Harry!

We use a modified shed for keeping our quail in, they are inside separate cages in this shed and are on top of a raised platform (approx 2-3ft high). Underneath this platform I have several large plastic tubs for storing various things like spare drinkers and emergency supplies.

I walked into my shed Monday evening and saw something moving strangely in the corner of my eye, it went behind a box. I didn't think much of it (been quite tired lately). Tuesday, I see this shape again moving weirdly along the floor - definitely not an escaped quail! First time I've ever seen a hedgehog I was amazed! On first thought I decided to take him outside the shed so he wasn't locked in overnight.

Wednesday comes and he is back in there! I phoned a local charity and they asked me if possible not to move him but to allow him to free roam my shed. I have agreed and transformed one of the tubs into a place for him to go hide, with water and some dry cat food we have spare from an old quail feed experiment. He is now our quails new friend for as long as he decides to stay, he seems very comfortable in the box!

The charity said we are best to not move him as they can die very easily from shock and we could put him in the wrong place. They see no reason to come and collect him (surprises me). We literally live in a mobile home park which is one big car park with about 16 homes in it, surrounded by a double, very high, fence. How did he even get here?!

Aww, what a cute hedgehog, here in Pennsylvania, they're illegal to have as pets. Can't remember why though...are you in the UK?
Yes, UK, illegal as pets here too! That's why he isn't our pet, just a freeloader until he decides to leave one day 🤣 (he can freely enter his box and leave whenever he wants)

Back
Top Bottom