Harvest free food (earwigs) for your chickens.

sfchixn

Songster
12 Years
May 30, 2009
Central Coast, California
It has been a terrible year for earwigs and humans, but a great year for our chickens and guineas!

Take a tall-sided empty can (dog food, canned tomatoes, canned soup, etc) and add a thin layer of cheap cooking oil at the bottom. Literally just line the bottom of the can with oil. Bury the can in the ground up to the rim overnight in a location where you see lots of earwigs. In the morning, you will have a can of earwigs that are trapped at the bottom. They fall in and can't escape because their feet are slick from the oil. In the morning, collect all the earwigs and feed to your birds. I have easily harvested a pound of earwigs per week this way!!!

Since then I have even found that I can place cans around like this without oil and still catch lots of earwigs. I can even just place the cans up against the house where I know there are earwigs and catch lots of them! Try it and report back 🙃

Today’s bounty.

Attachments

• 019319E8-F26C-40EB-B306-313261C8E86C.jpeg
    019319E8-F26C-40EB-B306-313261C8E86C.jpeg
    487.2 KB · Views: 41
What?! I thought I was the only one who's been overrun by these darn earwigs!! Nice to know there are others out there suffering as well. :yesss:

Back
Top Bottom