Has any body else had this problem??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by efudge94, Aug 5, 2011.

1. efudge94

efudge94 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    a few days ago some of my roosters killed one of roosters. If that makes since. I had 5 roosters, 17 weeks old( not old enough to be culled or anything yet) And i went out to feed them, and one of the roosters that was 'lower on the todem pole' was dead in one of the nesting boxes. He was always getting into fights with the other roosters, and ever since then everything has been really calm in the flock. has anybody else had this happen? or is it just my wacky flock?

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    It is a normal thing with roosters although roos that are raised together do tend to tolerate each other more.Maybe it was having so many that resulted in a death fight,or maybe someone just got tired of the low ranker trying to up his status by fighting so much.

If I were a roo and another was trying to bump me out of my spot daily I would want to end the daily fights for good.

3. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Yes that does happen from time to time, also young healthy roos will kill an older dominant roo in a flock to take his position.

Typo edit...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  4. efudge94

efudge94 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    I thought it probably did [​IMG] I have a favorite rooster (Rusty) and he is certainly not the biggest guy in there. I just hope I can find him a good home ( I am going to try and find him a home, but were keeping one and culling the others for meat) before they start fighting big time when they get older supposeldy. Thanks for your answers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by