Has any one had this happen to their Turkeys?

oh wow... that looks bad. Is it on both sides? Can you please provide any other accompanying symptoms (if any) and describe this a little further (is it hard/soft - does she seem sensitive to touching there?) and let us know if she's eating/drinking/pooping normal? My first guess would be sinusitis/respiratory infection. I've had turkeys with swollen cheeks from a sinusitis before - but never THAT swollen. However, I know other people on here have had similar swelling that they resolved by using the treatment recommended for sinusitis. Typically this is accompanied by sneezing/wheezing/labored breathing, coughing etc. And sometimes snot discharge. They can continue to eat and drink normal, until they get more and more sick at which time they will become weaker and less responsive. There are other things it could be so Please search BYC for "Swollen cheeks" to read other people's experiences with it. Also.. here is a link for sinusitis:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/203402.htm

A
nd last but not least - if you end up needing to treat with antibiotics, I would highly recommend Tylan 50 (at Tractor supply co, agway, etc) at 1cc per 10 pounds of body weight, twice a day for a week. (It is an injectible liquid but it's best not to inject it... just shoot down her throat without needle attached). This was recommended to me when I got a new hen who was really really sick when I got her and going downhill fast.. she had swollen cheeks and was sneezing with a thick nasal discharge... the recommended Tylan saved her life quick.

You guys are really neat, ya'll help each other as if ya'll were family. I love this site, and am very proud to have joined.
By the way my royal palm looked like that to, and the vet said that he had emphysema, and gave him a shot. The vet also gave me some amoxicilin for him 3x a day until finished.
Kuntrygirl from this site had the same thing happen to her too.

Every bodys here is just as awesome as my winged companions!

Im not sure what is wrong but it does look like some time of infection. I have a chicken right now with an extremely swollen eye and I think it may possibly be related to respiratory problem so I went out oday and bought Tylan 50 from TSC and gave it to her ( I did not inject I just used a medicine dropper type syringe and put it down her throat. Im not sure what dosage for the turkey I was told 1/2cc for adult chicken and 1/4cc for bantam size. The Tylan 50 package says it is for cattle and swine only but many other people here on BYC say they have used it on their poultry and the TSC worker said the same.

Last edited:
Yes, I took him to the vet and it is an infection
sorry I am super bad with remembering what they
5 min. After I leave. They did give him a long active
Antibiotic shot and told me to keep him on Tylan
I use the powder and mix it in the water as I am treating
About 7 this guy being the worse.
They are starting to look better his eye is still puffy
But he can use it now.

Hey... nice to hear the positive feedback and responses on here and glad to hear she was doing better! I have used the Tylan many times... ever since it turned my hen around (I had already tried Terramycin/Duramycin on her and she was still not responding and started fading fast), it's sort of my go-to antibiotic for anything that seems urgent. I've always heard everyone else say they swear by it for their poultry and now I do too! I hope that yours fully recovered and is doing great now :) That was really sweet to take her to the vet!

My Turkey is doing Much Much better!! It's face is back down to normal size. Thanks to every one for your help and care.
D.gif

clap.gif
yaaayyy.. so glad to hear it!! It is always so nice to hear a happy ending to a distress post! Especially with how awful and UNCOMFORTABLE she looked in the pic! Great job!

Back
Top Bottom