Has anybody tried the Mice bucket trap?

I have never had any luck with a bucket trap. Tin cats work good and the wind up traps work good. A bull snake is very effective they either catch them or cause them to disperse.

I tried that can with peanut butter trap. A raccoon or possum destroyed it the first night. I'm not sure which as I caught both raccoons and possums when I put the large live trap out. So I went with this version. It limits how many you can catch at a time but at least it didn't get destroyed.

Mouse Trap.JPG

I use water in the bottom. If they can reach the bottom they can jump pretty good, might be able to get out. And the water drowns them. I toss the dead mice to the chickens, they have a nice game of keep away before eating them. If I used antifreeze instead of water I couldn't feed them to the chickens.

I can never eradicate mice but between this, some snap traps, and a few rat snakes they kind of stay under control.

Yea I thought of that but it looks like it would fall off from having 2/3rd of it overhanging like that. Must me missing the lead sinkers in the back.

Oh. I was looking at it wrong. Some is sitting on the edge of the bucket. Makes sense now.

I actually tried the pvc pipe roller on the bucket before. I couldn't catch anything in mine.

Yea I thought of that but it looks like it would fall off from having 2/3rd of it overhanging like that. Must me missing the lead sinkers in the back.
Careful balance until weight is put on it?

@Ridgerunner, I did wonder if you find the shim outside the bucket and no mouse trapped. If so, how often is it a miss?

My spring-loaded traps sometimes miss because whatever clears the bait obviously didn’t hit the plate hard enough to set it off. Annoying.

Careful balance until weight is put on it?

@Ridgerunner, I did wonder if you find the shim outside the bucket and no mouse trapped. If so, how often is it a miss?
Yep, just gravity. It takes a bit of practice but like everything else you get the hang of it. You don't want enough of an overhang that it falls too easily. Using a very thin shim helps.

How often does it miss? I've had three shims lined up and got three at a time. I'd say once I got the hang of it maybe 75% success. I couldn't always tell if a raccoon or possum got to it, they like chicken feed too. I never caught a rat so they might have been able to get out of the trap, not sure.

Back
Top Bottom