Has anybody tried the Mice bucket trap?

Ecalix

Chirping
Apr 24, 2021
Miami, Florida
So I’m seeing lots of mice/rat poop.
I started searching for a solution and saw an add for the bucket trap and wondering if anybody has used it. The rodents don’t die in this trap so what is the process for a bucket of mice after??

Last edited:
Works great. Put some water in bottom of bucket and they will drown.
One I made, I put peanut butter on the can
hredirect2.jpeg

I’ve never used it myself, but a friend used them in his barn when he had a bad infestation. He told me he was dumping the drowned mice twice a day sometimes.

That changed when I was able to give him a couple of bullsnakes that had been rescued from local irrigation ditches in the city. He was thrilled to have a natural predator for the mice.

I had a coop that was infested with rats. After I moved the birds and started to renovate the coop dozens of rats of all sizes poured out. I tried many different things first to get rid of the rats to no avail. I finally bought some rat bait stations with poison and put them in the barn which is right behind the coops because I had seen evidence of them being in there too. I'm not advocating using poison only that is what I finally did. I put the bait stations in pet carriers on shelves so nothing but the rats could get to them. Slowly I noticed that the baits were being eaten on less and less and I wasn't seeing the evidence of the rats. I still have the bait stations in the barn and check them once in awhile. If the baits are gone then I suspect more rats have tried to move in and bait the bait stations. I check the quite often and haven't had any activity in quite awhile. There is a partition in the middle of the bait station to keep the rats/mice from getting the bait out. Good luck...

Attachments

• RatBaitStationRev1.jpg
    RatBaitStationRev1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2
  • RatBaitBoxRev.jpg
    RatBaitBoxRev.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 3
  • PetCarrier1.jpg
    PetCarrier1.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 1
  • PetCarrier.jpg
    PetCarrier.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 2
I tried that can with peanut butter trap. A raccoon or possum destroyed it the first night. I'm not sure which as I caught both raccoons and possums when I put the large live trap out. So I went with this version. It limits how many you can catch at a time but at least it didn't get destroyed.

Mouse Trap.JPG

I use water in the bottom. If they can reach the bottom they can jump pretty good, might be able to get out. And the water drowns them. I toss the dead mice to the chickens, they have a nice game of keep away before eating them. If I used antifreeze instead of water I couldn't feed them to the chickens.

I can never eradicate mice but between this, some snap traps, and a few rat snakes they kind of stay under control.

Careful balance until weight is put on it?

@Ridgerunner, I did wonder if you find the shim outside the bucket and no mouse trapped. If so, how often is it a miss?
Yep, just gravity. It takes a bit of practice but like everything else you get the hang of it. You don't want enough of an overhang that it falls too easily. Using a very thin shim helps.

How often does it miss? I've had three shims lined up and got three at a time. I'd say once I got the hang of it maybe 75% success. I couldn't always tell if a raccoon or possum got to it, they like chicken feed too. I never caught a rat so they might have been able to get out of the trap, not sure.

Back
Top Bottom