Has anyone been having trouble with Ideal this year??

willow

Songster
11 Years
May 5, 2008
Sherman, NY
I've gotten 3 batches from Ideal this year- 1 standard mix and 2 bantam mixes. The standards were shipped with the first batch of bantams. The standards were fine (lost 1 in shipping) but the bantams were very weak. I lost 4 in transit and another 14!! by the time Monday came around. They of course replaced them and we just chalked it up to the heat.
My last shipment came this past Friday. 4 DOA, 2 deformed ( 1 w/foot bent behind and crossed beak, 1 that was walking on it's elbows) and dead at home count is 11 so far!! I have never gotten deformed chicks before from anywhere
hit.gif

I have ordered from here for years and never had this problem with anything that I ordered! I refer my friends there and love the customer service
clap.gif
What is going on this year? Different breeders? Anyone else having a problem this year??

I also had losses on the last two shipments of Banties we bought from them. In one shipment we only ended up with 9 out of 38.
The chicks were very weak and something like 14 were doa and the others died within 24 hours . In both orders all Dutch and OEGBS and Japanese were doa or gone in the next day or two. We also lost most of the D'Uccles. The survivors were mostly Cochins. It was interesting that we had also bought 18 banties at TSC and lost none. I thought those chicks may have come from Ideal too but the lady there didn't know where they came from. Our standard chicks and ducks from Ideal did very well. We only had two doa on a shipment of 25 pullets. The rest did great. They do have very good customer service.

I hope your case is an exception rather than the rule. I just ordered 25 mixed bantams for delivery at the end of next week. Sure hope I
smile.png
fare better than you.

I also ordered a batch to be shipped on the 11th
I havent ordered from Ideal this year yet i was overrun with adult chickens this year

but have since reduced the flock so decided to order from ideal this time again
although last year lost a whole batch due to PO not saying anything and had another batch that only 4 survived to adult age both batches were from ideal Last spring

so im keeping my fingers crossed on this batch I ordered 30 from their special

Don't get me wrong-I love ordering from Ideal!! I was just wondering if I was the only one losing babies. Mine were very weak also. It's just a bummer to watch it happen. I think the customer service is wonderful!

I wondered if it was due to something wrong with the banties we bought or was it a shipping problem with maybe the treatment being too rough for the banties but the standard breeds did good. We didn't get one surviving OEGB, Japanese ,Dutch and also lost most of the D'Uccles. We did get several cute OEGBS and a couple of D'Uccles in the group of TSC chicks and they are doing well.
Ideal was really good about it and promptly credited us for the losses. I was afraid to get anymore banties shipped after the big losses from both groups. Maybe our local post office was rough or something, but we were very disappointed to lose most of the banties we ordered. We are happy with the group from TSC though and are enjoying them.

I have four little bitties out back that came from Ideal.... hatched last week. They are beautiful. A speckled sussex, a buff orpington, a dominique and a cinnamon queen.

Back
Top Bottom