Has anyone bred Cornish X's with another DP breed?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by wsonphan80, Feb 9, 2012.

1. wsonphan80

wsonphan80 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Pioneer, CA
    Hi everyone! I have a cornish X rooster and 2 hens that are about 5 months old. They were the healthiest out of my 25 meaties so I let them live in hopes of being able to create a self-sustaining meat bird flock. They are between 8-12lbs, have no physical problems that I can see, and free range all day. I feed them in the morning and in the evening. Well, I'm not sure if it's true but someone told me cornish X's are infertile. Anyways, I just wanted to know if anyone has tried crossing cornish x chickens with another dual purpose breed and what kind of results they've had. I guess I'm looking for a DP chicken that is heavier and meatier than the standard DP. I just don't want to waste time and feed keeping these meaties alive if I can't breed them. Thanks!

2. cluckingnuts

cluckingnuts Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2011
    Several years ago I bought a parent breeding flock of Hubbard Master Gris M commercial birds. I bred them into Dorkings and Indian Game [what you call Cornish]. From these I now have a couple of lines, I always select for health, ability to forage, good breeders and growth.
    I know it take a several more years before all the things that I am aiming for will become fixed but the good thing is I get to eat all those not up to the mark for my breeding programme.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    subscribed

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    some may get to , large to breed not infertile but, may need to milk the male for AI like the BB turkey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by