Has anyone bred Pekin and welsh harlequin ducks together??

It's because your pekin is black 'under' the white :) White is recessive in ducks and if a duck gets two copies and it expresses, it covers up all other colors. So your pekin would have been black bibbed, were she not recessive white.

Extended black is dominant over mallard base, which is what a welsh harlequin's color is based on. So, the duckling only inherits one copy of white from the pekin parent, so it doesn't express, and inherits the dominant extended black gene. Thus, black babies :)
Wow!!! I totally understand now... very interesting. Thanks so much!! Who wouldve thought that!!💁‍♀️

Well, no need to get a stuffed duck for Joy.... she loves my sons raccoon!!!

Attachments

• 20200223_205841.jpg
    20200223_205841.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 16
Joy's having some trouble again.😔🤒 The day I rushed her to the vet was very bad. Shes not like that again, but, the 1st few days I was giving her antibiotics, plus holding her upright constantly, she was improving everyday. I think the antibiotics helped alot, but it seems as if theyve stopped working some. I'm praying she'll be fine. I'm trying to keep her comfortable every second of the day.

Well, not exactly how I planned it to be. Our yard is Flooded in the front and Emmie & Max (our oldest) love swimming around in it. So, while they were out swimming (Emmie swimming & Max standing guard), my husband decided to let the youngest 3 out, and with us close, see how it goes.
Well, Callie, the last born & instigator, kept chasing Emmie & Max out of there swimming spot. Once Emmie & Max ran off, & Callie tried to bite their tail. Wouldve never thought it would happen this way. I was so nervous Max was going to eat them up. So for now, I feel a little better, not totally trusting enough to leave alone but.. ... Callie, has got one set of nuggets on her. Keeps going at Max with fierce, hes literally 3 times her size. Is it possible shes a male? Would a female act like that?

Back
Top Bottom