Has anyone built the "Garden Coop"?

Quote:
Clear roofing will be hotter than opaque; if you still wanted to let in light you could go for the white panels instead.

Thanks for the feedback on the design, I think I'm going to go for it. I'm constructioningly challenged
big_smile.png
and the simpler the plans make things, the better. I really like the looks of it and we too have a small city yard and I think it'll work out perfectly. Hippie, how do you plan to roof yours? Are you just going to extend the length of the rafters over your bay? I like the idea of the exterior nest boxes as well.

Time to roll up my sleeves and get going. The rains are coming down heavy today!
Paul

We just finished building ours. I'd post a picture but it looks exactly like the one on the Garden Coop web site. I think it cost us about $800 all in all. I know I spent $650 on my first trip to the building supply, and then went back for lots of other stuff as we went along. We bought everything new, and had to buy more hardware cloth than the plan calls for because that's how it's sold here, so that added to the expense.

We were really impressed with the plan--very clear and everything went the way it was supposed to go. I really can't imagine anyone getting this done in less than three weekends, though, and it took us about twice that long, just because it takes us a while to get going in the mornings and then we're slow and disorganized all day long.
smile.png

The funny thing is that I looked and looked for plans but couldn't find any I liked. Finally I sketched exactly what I wanted. Next morning I tried searching one last time and this thing finally popped up, and it was my plan down to the last detail! Thank goodness. I hate to think how it would have turned out if we'd had to make it up ourselves. I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.

My wife bought the plans for our larger replacement coop. They are very good plans and since I live in Portland I have seen the coop first hand. The instructions are very good and easy to follow. Unfortunatly I didn't exactly follow them I built something much larger though I did follow the plans to build the door, and the run portions. I had to attach the run a bit differently. Oh heck I just built a massive 8x8x9 foot cube with a roof on it. and two doors (one people and one chicken) and two windows and a 5 box nest box. and then added a very large 15x10 enclosed predator proofed run. (still in progress.)

But, the point is the plans are good and easy to follow. I just used them as a starting point.

Good luck with your coop building.

Back
Top Bottom