has anyone dealt with swollen waddles?

bug58

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 19, 2012
One of my hens has a swollen waddle and it's browning on the bottom around the edges., and they are not nearly as bright red as they have been, she's only recently started laying, so I'm hesitant on what type of medications to give.

I've moved her away from the others based on a few links I'd found saying it could be a couple of different diseases. She's fine other than hating being moved away from her family.

I noticed it last night, and the only medication I had was penicillin, which I crushed and put in with a gallon of water and gave her some of that. her poop seems fine, she's eating and drinking..there is no odor coming from her, no sticky stuff around her eyes, she's breathing fine..no other symptoms that I have noticed. Here are two pictures I took today..

The second picture she was trying to peck at the camera..

http://www.ehow.com/list_6060252_chicken-comb-diseases.html

http://www.ehow.com/list_6822687_list-chicken-diseases.html

Last edited:
I see she's got her mouth open in one pic. She could be having a respiratory infection which would blacken the tips of the wattle. There may be an infection in the wattle from that or possibly an infection in the sinus (not sure about later). However, an antibiotic would go a long way in addressing all the issues here. Wattles require a good bit of oxyginated blood. Since her respiratory system is looking compromised, don't lay her on her back or stress her out unnecessarily while treating her because it could cause sudden death.

her mouth is open because she was trying to peck at the camera when I was trying to take the picture, however, if that is the case, I read some where that Vetrx on a q-tip w/ water could also help with a respiratory infection?? (I think)

I haven't had need to lay her on her back, she's pretty docile and friendly, and allows me to pick her up and hold her, even when checking her waddle for the picture.

Just warning you about the laying on the back thingy. I had a big healthy rooster that had the same blackened tips on his wattles but when I laid him over his head turned purplish blue. Anyway, everything is indicative of an infection. Vetrx is some kind of preventative maybe (frankly, I don't get it myself). Get some of that Duramycen powder and put it in the water at the very least. Someone might chime in otherwise but I think that Vetrx is pretty worthless.

okay, thank you...I will also let my husband know.

though he tends to let me deal with learning all I can, and doesn't desire to really know..except they need fed, watered and eggs collected..

BTW, I forgot to mention about my rooster, I laid him over on his back one time too many and he died on me. He was a big, good rooster too so I just wanted to kick myself for doing it. Your hen looks pretty fiesty so she probably isn't as sick as my boy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom