Has anyone eaten Bresse???

I had not heard of Bielefelders until now; how do you like them?
They are still young, haven't processed them yet. Really like that they are auto sexing. The hens are good layers as well. I have only heard good things about them. We are keeping them as an alternative to cornishx.

I'm raising Bresse right now and I think they're a nice addition. They are very fast-growing compared to other dual-purpose breeds I've raised, and have a reputation for being very easy to pluck (huge bonus if you're hand-plucking like I am). I incubated shipped eggs and had a small hatch, so I haven't processed any of these yet. The pullets began laying early and have laid consistently. The birds are generally fairly mellow, too.

They are still young, haven't processed them yet. Really like that they are auto sexing. The hens are good layers as well. I have only heard good things about them. We are keeping them as an alternative to cornishx.
The Bresse is much better than Bielifielder as far as laying and growth rate. I have Bielefielder in the past and they are slow growthing bird. They are look much colorful and calm bird, but not what GreenFireFarms mentioned on their website.

We were wanting to raise Bresse chickens after hearing about them through Living Traditions Homestead. Great to read all the real life opinions. Would really like to close the flock completely again yet have birds being bred and raised for our meat. Dual purpose is good but something a bit more of a meat bird would be great.

I would like to share my experience with the American Breese through Murray McMurray. I had only been able to get a single STR last summer, and he was a rooster. He was a fantastic representation of the breed. Picture perfect, not aggressive, and fast to mature. I was satisfied, so I placed a larger order. They didn't look right at all, at just a few weeks old. They had blue legs (and some very dark skin) at less than a week. As they grew (they are currently 9 weeks old), they started turning into what I call Frankenhen. They are just awful. Grey faces, cinnamon coloured breasts, and the entire look, even the white, is way off. I will say they are fantastic at free ranging.

I wonder if someone introduced Rocks into the line for bigger birds. I contacted Murray McMurray, and they were aware due to complaints, and did say that they ordered from two different places, and that the problem only occurred when they mixed the two flocks together. Someone has an impure line, so I would not order from them until they sort all this out.

Their hatchery did loose several barns to the Avian Flu, so I'm not sure if they are still selling the American Breese. But I would avoid them.

I would like to share my experience with the American Breese through Murray McMurray. I had only been able to get a single STR last summer, and he was a rooster. He was a fantastic representation of the breed. Picture perfect, not aggressive, and fast to mature. I was satisfied, so I placed a larger order. They didn't look right at all, at just a few weeks old. They had blue legs (and some very dark skin) at less than a week. As they grew (they are currently 9 weeks old), they started turning into what I call Frankenhen. They are just awful. Grey faces, cinnamon coloured breasts, and the entire look, even the white, is way off. I will say they are fantastic at free ranging.

I wonder if someone introduced Rocks into the line for bigger birds. I contacted Murray McMurray, and they were aware due to complaints, and did say that they ordered from two different places, and that the problem only occurred when they mixed the two flocks together. Someone has an impure line, so I would not order from them until they sort all this out.

Their hatchery did loose several barns to the Avian Flu, so I'm not sure if they are still selling the American Breese. But I would avoid them.
Thank you for sharing! Murray McMurray was where I had thought about getting them from. I will be sticking to my Bielefelders for now.

Back
Top Bottom