Has anyone else’s chicken survived months on its own?

I haven't been in that exact situation before, but I did have one hen pass away when she lost her two best friends to a predator. She got very lonely, stayed to herself, seemed as though she was in shock, and just passed away 3 days later.

Yes. We had a lone survivor of some bird sickness quite a few years ago. She turned out to be very friendly with me and followed me everywhere like a puppy when I was doing chores. Poor Chebacca (the loner) got out too early one morning and an owl got her but she was happy for a long time and much tamer hanging out with me. Now I know more and have 21 chickens that are probably happier that

I was wondering has anyone had a chicken survive longer then 4 months or so on it’s own after the remaining flock members passing away?

Oh gosh yes! My recent hen of 9 yrs who has now passed on lived for 2 full years by herself. Of course I made accommodations to keep her more comfortable. She didn't like to free range alone so I would hang out with her for an hour a day as she grazed around. I put up a big mirror in the coop where she liked to hang out much of the day and her reflection was her good buddy when I wasn't around. I left a radio playing softly during the day, a ticking clock 24/7 in the coop which really kept her calm at night. I attached an old pillow at the end of the roost bar where she slept at night so she had something to snuggle next to. I used 6 soft hand towels on the roost bar during the cold winter to keep her warm. (Warm feet mean warm bird) It helped that she was a loner to begin with. She never seemed stressed, lonely and quite frankly seemed to thrive on being the only spoiled bird. She passed from a heart attack one night, but lived a very healthy long life for a hatchery hen. Good luck wirh your lone hen! :)

Oh gosh yes! My recent hen of 9 yrs who has now passed on lived for 2 full years by herself. Of course I made accommodations to keep her more comfortable. She didn't like to free range alone so I would hang out with her for an hour a day as she grazed around. I put up a big mirror in the coop where she liked to hang out much of the day and her reflection was her good buddy when I wasn't around. I left a radio playing softly during the day, a ticking clock 24/7 in the coop which really kept her calm at night. I attached an old pillow at the end of the roost bar where she slept at night so she had something to snuggle next to. I used 6 soft hand towels on the roost bar during the cold winter to keep her warm. (Warm feet mean warm bird) It helped that she was a loner to begin with. She never seemed stressed, lonely and quite frankly seemed to thrive on being the only spoiled bird. She passed from a heart attack one night, but lived a very healthy long life for a hatchery hen. Good luck wirh your lone hen! :)
:hugs

Are you going to get more chickens?

Back
Top Bottom