Has anyone ever commited homicide while building their coop?

No, I haven't committed it BUT I have started to think about it! It was SUPPOSE to be my Mother's Day present from dh and the (adult) kids! I was so excited--over 1000$ worth of materials PAID for but left at Lowe's for almost 6weeks..Finally, I called and paid the delivery fee because it wasn't gonna happen with dh/kid's schedule....Dh took 3 days off from work and it rained EVERY single day! The kids came up on three week ends and it was 100* w/ 90% humitity with rain on one of those weekends.. Then dh took off another two days and we got the framing done even though it was 95*+ degrees and we were working at 5am under the carport and carried the 'walls' out to the pad. Then we all passed around some kind of virus for a month-- That was JUNE 1 and nothing has happened since! Not one board, one pc. of siding, one window, door, posts or pc. of fence!!! So we have all this money tied up in materials and the shell to my coop..I have ever cried over it.. I thought the next day I didn't have the baby, I would start something my self==even if it's wrong...QB :mad:

Oh I feel all of your pain!! It's a small miracle that dh and I haven't killed eachother yet. Everything ends in a HUGE fight, and me in tears. Luckily, the coop is up FINALLY!!! We started working on that the 2nd week in June, and the crew got to move in last Wednesday! Spent the last 2 days working on the run, and all that's done is the land leveled and fence posts in. Of course getting the run ready has it's share of knock down drag out fights, and it won't be finished for another couple of days. Altough I expect dh to be homicidal soon because as soon as the run is done, he needs to start working on an area for the llama I've adopted. Oops!!!
wink.png

Sonja

My DH and I have been married 41 years - we do not work well together on anything. It gets rather nasty at times. I don't adjust well to being a "gopher" it just grinds on my pride. I know someone has to do it and I generaly enter into the project with the proper mindset but after I have found his pencil 10 times and his tape 7, and the level 5, and fetched a couple of iced drinks and two or three trips here and there, I just lose it! :thun

My current unfinished pen is one half of a storage shed - he told me I could have half of it for my Sebastapol goslings and he helped put up the screen door - I started the wire divider - it currently holds his Harley Sportster..... they are nine (9) weeks old today..........
rant.gif
Ahhhhhh, deep breath.....ain't love wonderful?
love.gif

* One of my all-time favorite quote is from Katharine Hepburn, who wisely said, "Men and women should just live next door to one another and simply visit from time-to-time." Pretty smart cookie, that one!!!
big_smile.png

I did my own design and hired someone off of Craigs List to build it and of course lied about how much it cost to my husband. Better that than the two of us trying to build it.

I also hired a couple of college kids to put up the fence around it all since my two story rig keeps an open door.

That was a waste of money. The deer have already knocked down most of the fence and I only did it 4 feet high with lots of uneven spots on the bottom. I had thought landscaping wire could hold it down but our ground is so hard that it's almost impossible to get them in...

So, the moral to the story is we all have imperfections. I'll have to rebuild a fence and you will learn some great carpentry lessons from good ole trial and error!

Oh, can I ever relate to not being able to work with the DH on anything. Neither one of has never attempted suicide. But DH was working on the run one day while I was at work. I came home from work & he waved at me. Being the polite person that I am, I waved back. I went in the house and put away my things. I came out he was holding his hand. I asked him what he had done. He informed me that he had shot a nail through his hand and had nailed it to a board. He was waving at me to come down there and pull it out. I think, at that time, he might have been considering helping me commit suicide.

I am feeling ya! We just finished our first "from scratch" coop - and there are a few things I learned - now, please forgive me BYC folks... I have a wonderful DH.. please humor me - I am a latch shy of a coop today... just showing our original poster she is not alone... my thoughts on the coop construction..some conversational snippets...

1) I have a wonderful DH - spectacular.. but did he really HAVE to buy the black toolbelt in order to make the coop? I mean... the PRO super-delux-o model? Yes? OK.. small price to pay for having ones tools on hand...but if ya wear the white athletic ribbed cotton socks.. it just ISN'T going to have the effect you are looking for.. there I said it.. no - building a coop isn't fashion sensitive work, and I'm no prize myself.. but good GAWD - how much did that tool belt cost? Is that REAL fur??
lau.gif

2) Let me get this right - if you HAVE time to plan your Lowes shopping trip, you'll come home with some wrong things and forget some of the right things.. but if I rush you out the door, the rushing is what caused you to pick up the wrong things and forget the right things? Um, OK. And WHAT? You got a different fence than we discussed because a woman in the line and the cashier said chickens needed something different? And they had WHAT - chicken expert diplomas on them? Chicken badges? What?
gig.gif

3) No.. I didn't know your circle saw was dangerous and that if it hit a knot it could fly out of your hand.. bummer on the leg scratch!
rant.gif

4) I'm not clear on this -- was there a 2 for 1 deal on lumber? No? Then what the heck is all of this stuff left over in the garage?
somad.gif

5) You can't use the door latch because some day in the possible future the wood might warp and WHAT - cause a cosmic rift??? WHAT??
hu.gif

6) OK... we are staining all of the 3/4 inch plywood.. and no I don't know why you can't just nail that board to plywood... and no, I don't understand what a router is.. and a I being too cruel to ask if this thing will be done before 2009? Just want to get going on planning a chicken new years if it is necessary. :thun

7) I love you.. swear to gawd I am so happy you are doing this for the chickens.. really..
clap.gif
OK if we use this as our tornado shelter when the next warning blows? I just think it weights more than our house!!!
ya.gif

OK really - it has been hot as heck and I doubt I could do anywhere near as wonderful a job as my DH has.. and hasn't he suffered enough? I mean, he is married to me!
sickbyc.gif
But ya gotta let it out sometimes...
ep.gif

Last edited:
With no carpentry skills, building a chicken coop is no fun at all. My simple plan that was supposed to take a 'couple of hours' took no less than 40, and ended up costing well over the $150 I had figured. AND, it looks like hell. Pff yeah, I learned my lesson. I am commisioning my next coop.

Back
Top Bottom