Has anyone ever done a Treat Chart for baby chicks?

I used shavings with a sheet of paper towel over it for the first couple of weeks, then removed the paper towel (actually on about day 10 I removed it).

Never had an issue with them eating shavings.

Been giving mine uncooked Quaker oats and they go nutso over them.

I think chicks are a lot less fragile than we think...

Quote:
I agree!

Please remember these are CHICKENS, not babies!!

I am use to feeding chickens the prepared mix that is designed for chickens. I only throw out scratch in the outside pen for them to do just that; scratch.

18618_10wk2.jpg

Are these unhealthy at ten weeks of age?

Enjoy, but do not kill yourself in the process.

My best,

Dick.
Phelan, CA

Well I think it all comes down to why you have chickens... If you're keeping them to kill and eat them or solely for their eggs...or if you have a "farmer" mentality, then just feeding a chicken a diet of chicken feed makes sense. You'll have healthy yummy chickens with just chicken feed.

But if you have chickens as pets - just like you'd have a cat or a dog - you want to feed them treats for many reasons - it entertains them, they like them, they'll learn to associate you with something good, and they may even become lap chickens who want to sit with you when you visit them.

So it's probably good to look at why you have chickens when you decide if treats are appropriate.

We want 3 friendly pet chickens and eggs are great, but not the primary reason for owning them. We want them to come when they're called (which they do) and sit with us and just be funny feathered members of our family - so we're doing what we can to entertain them with treats.

Neither way is right or wrong - its just what works for your situation. My dog is our family pet and I wouldn't dream of just feeding him dog food every day. He gets plenty of dog-appropriate treats!

That's great info!!!!!! - but I was told that chicks should not be fed greens.... and that they can have yogurt as early as 1 week old.
hide.gif

It is tough to wade through all the information and figure out what you want to do when you're new to chickens. I think as a new chick owner you have to read it all and just try and see what most experienced owners are doing and run with it, you know?

I gave mine uncooked... but you could do both. Mine are 18 days old and I only gave it to them yesterday. Maybe smaller ones might need it cooked. Also, I didn't give them alot. Maybe 3/4 cup sprinkled on the ground outside when they were out for their 15 minutes. I also gave them corn out of a can. Not the whole can but a few sprinkles here and there. Also, mine have been in pine bedding since day one with no problem. Thats how the feed supply stores had them to at 1 day old.

I put paper towles down over the bedding, i had read where they can get impacted and die! So i just changed out the papertowels 2 to 3 times a day until they were bigger. I bought the large shavings from tractor supply instead of the real small savings. As far as treats I made mine some warm oatmeal each night before bed time and they go crazy over it. They are so cute.
Quote:

Quote:
we put a small pvc pipe in the brooder box for them to pratice roosting on, a little silver pie tin for them to peck at and hop on, and a sandwich baggie box for them to jump on and hide in. Keeps them busy all day, lots to do.

The wife also give them a little bit of cottage cheese today and once they figured out what it was they went to town. Lots of keep away games! She had to hold some in her fingers so they would peck at it. About an hour after putting the plate in their brooder they had it all gone...... Tomrrow we will try grass and maybe some worms.

Last edited:
If you want your chicks to go ballistic, give 'em some crickets. You can buy them at PetsMart or a feed or bait store. OMG - mine went all Crouching Tiger when we tossed some crickets in with them. It was hilarious. We made sure they have a little bowl of grit in there too so they can grind up the crickets. Mine are 4 weeks old BTW.

Back
Top Bottom