Has anyone ever grown their potatoes in old tires?

Quote:
That's a thought too. i literally have over 100 5gal buckets from the restaurant. I use them for tomatoes, tomatillas, etc. Awesome idea! Thanks!

*I did read somewhere about growing potatoes in extra strong black trash bags, same principle, just rip the bag open when they are ready.

Last edited:
Quote:
And what kind of NON "stinky" stuff do you use to grow stuff in? Nothing with poop in it right?

yuckyuck.gif

Actually, I just meant how when tires are in the hot sun, they offgas a weird oil smell that I would be afraid might leach into my potatoes.

d.k :

*I did read somewhere about growing potatoes in extra strong black trash bags, same principle, just rip the bag open when they are ready.

I saw that too. But to get a bigger yield, the point is to stack soil and kind of lift the plant up a bit, etc. From what I understand anyways. I totally can see myself recycling garbage bags to use as a potato medium. Hahha. Oh oh, I bet this would work swell for lettuce? Now that's an idea. Maybe fill it half way up and lay it out flat. Cut holes and plant the lettuce? hrmmm.​

Quote:
And what kind of NON "stinky" stuff do you use to grow stuff in? Nothing with poop in it right?

yuckyuck.gif

Actually, I just meant how when tires are in the hot sun, they offgas a weird oil smell that I would be afraid might leach into my potatoes.

I'm not sure. I know they smell like the highway when heated up and such. Oil I guess. However, I don't taste cow poop in my beans but I sure do smell it in my soil, ya know. I gotta use these tires for something. I refuse to have four tire swings in my backyard. I don't need anymore stinking filthy little boys over here, I have too many mooching kids as it is.
smile.png

I still use my 3 tractor tires to grow stuff in (tomatos, zuc, cucumbers, onions and much more) never had a problem. Everything does great. I have thought about doing potatoes just never have.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom