Has anyone ever had doemstic and Wild geese pair up?

TheTwoRoos

Crowing
Sep 25, 2015
I have 3 geese.They are young (about 7 or 8 months),and are still coming into season.One gander I caught mating the female,but that is the only time she submitted that I have seen.The Ganders fought off and on and eventually one of them gave up.So I have one Gander with no mate,point period,and has flocked with ducks ever since his sad losses.

I have seen wild Canada geese fly over,but never land (Our pond is not all that big).I have seen pairs of geese land at the pond maybe twice before.But im guessing it was a Gander and his girl.My geese or ducks do not go up to the pond anymore because some of them are far too stubborn to come back down when it is time,but we have land all around that they venture on. Should I worry for my geese coming in contact with wild ones,and fighting?Will they pair up with my geese?Anyone ever ended up with wild Canada geese due to this kind of thing?

I cant control what the wild geese do,I can tyr my best to keep my geese in their yard.Just curious.

I know they do pair up from time to time. Mostly happens in situations where a domestic has been dumped at a pond that wild geese frequent, but can also happen in other circumstances

I own such a cross. Was sold to me as pure American buff, but she is obviously not. I still don't know if the breeder owned Canada geese or if a visiting male mated with his female American buff, who then hatched and raised the resulting hybrids. I had her sister too, but she flew off and best I can figure she joined a wild flock of Canada geese. Willow has elected to stay.

Since she is a hybrid of a Canada goose and a domestic goose, she is sterile and will never produce offspring. She has full flight capabilities, she just chooses not to leave and instead to live with my Roman Tufteds.

Back
Top Bottom