Has anyone ever had one of these go broody before?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by minihorse927, Jan 24, 2011.

1. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I thought these things didn't go broody. Or at least that is what everyone has told me and yet I keep finding this!
    [​IMG]
    She keeps getting more and more determined everyday! The first couple day I could walk back and she would leave, but she would go back within 5 minutes of me disturbing her. Now she gets kinda nasty when I go back there because everyone lays in that crate! I guess I need to find another milk crate and hope the others decide they want to use it instead!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    It can happen in any breed. It is just rare in some breeds. I have seen posts on here of leghorns going broody.

I guess you are just lucky???

3. newham0614

newham0614 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    orange,va
    so cute

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I've seen a broody Sex Link on YouTube before. . . . It can happen, just not often at all. I had a broody Silver Laced Polish once. That's a DOUBLE whammy of no chances in being broody (both hatchery bred and naturally a non setting breed) but, I got the luck of a broody one. [​IMG]

5. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    My first year of keeping chickens, all I had were red and black sex links. That year I had 8 broodies.

6. KateBeauchemin

KateBeauchemin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Never had an isa go before... I have a rhode island red, 2 brahma mixes and 2 silkie seremas right now... So, they are nice enough to cover the call duck eggs due thursday.. Fingers crossed.

7. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Quote:so glad you posted about your polish broody hen. years back my silver would also go broody..and sit along side of muskovi duck sitting on her nest. was so funny, she never hatched any babies of her own..but she claimed those ducklings as hers,and hers alone.

8. CathyRN

CathyRN Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    Sevier County, TN
    I've had my smallest easter egger go broody. One night she never came back to the coop.......next morning we opened up the coop to free range them, one bird missing. We thought the worst, looked all over for her. Finally one of our other easter eggers led us right to her. She was in a bush, sitting on eggs..........she had laid 21 green eggs in a pile and sat on them overnight ! LOL no wonder why she wasn't laying for a month ! Anyway, she always sits on the other's eggs kinda long, but she hasn't gone missing since :)

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes many golden comet will go broody......after all they are from two breeds that will go broody

10. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    I read on one of the threads recently that the persons cornish cross had gone broody..........[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by