Has anyone ever had one of these go broody before?

minihorse927

Whipper snapper
11 Years
Nov 3, 2010
I thought these things didn't go broody. Or at least that is what everyone has told me and yet I keep finding this!
71081_broodyrsl.jpg

She keeps getting more and more determined everyday! The first couple day I could walk back and she would leave, but she would go back within 5 minutes of me disturbing her. Now she gets kinda nasty when I go back there because everyone lays in that crate! I guess I need to find another milk crate and hope the others decide they want to use it instead!

Last edited:
It can happen in any breed. It is just rare in some breeds. I have seen posts on here of leghorns going broody.

I guess you are just lucky???

I've seen a broody Sex Link on YouTube before. . . . It can happen, just not often at all. I had a broody Silver Laced Polish once. That's a DOUBLE whammy of no chances in being broody (both hatchery bred and naturally a non setting breed) but, I got the luck of a broody one.
smile.png

Never had an isa go before... I have a rhode island red, 2 brahma mixes and 2 silkie seremas right now... So, they are nice enough to cover the call duck eggs due thursday.. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
so glad you posted about your polish broody hen. years back my silver would also go broody..and sit along side of muskovi duck sitting on her nest. was so funny, she never hatched any babies of her own..but she claimed those ducklings as hers,and hers alone.

I've had my smallest easter egger go broody. One night she never came back to the coop.......next morning we opened up the coop to free range them, one bird missing. We thought the worst, looked all over for her. Finally one of our other easter eggers led us right to her. She was in a bush, sitting on eggs..........she had laid 21 green eggs in a pile and sat on them overnight ! LOL no wonder why she wasn't laying for a month ! Anyway, she always sits on the other's eggs kinda long, but she hasn't gone missing since :)

Back
Top Bottom