Has anyone ever had quail eggs hatch on day 24 before?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MageofMist, May 17, 2017.

1. MageofMist

MageofMist Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    Ok, so this is weird. All my other eggs hatched around day 18, which I saw as normal... Though I left the eggs in as a "what-if" scenario but didn't think would happen... Well, cue me sleepily walking up the stairs this morning to then hear little "whee whee whee"s coming from the brooder.

Confused I went to look, and saw TWO tiny fuzzballs darting about! I had checked it last night and there were no signs of them hatching.
    :eek:

Two New.png
    Not complaining though, I love the two new fuzzies. :)

Quaillvr likes this.
  2. MageofMist

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    A vid of all the 7 teeni quail on my hand.

Binki likes this.
  3. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Sounds like a cold spot possibly in the incubator.

Or they just wanted to be fashionably late to the party.

4. MageofMist

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    I can check the incubator with the thermometer later, but the eggs were in the same area as the other quail eggs that hatched. I guess they just wanted to be fashionably late. :p

5. dpenning

dpenning Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Blue Ridge, TX
    Great video, what kind are these? My coturnix all look like tiny little chipmunks.

6. MageofMist

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    Mine are Chinese Painted Quail/King Quail/Button Quail (they have many names XD)
    The black ones are the blue-faced morph, the 'bee'/chipmunk ones are the red-breasted morph, and the yellow one is a white and the whitish one will either be a white or a silver.

7. MageofMist

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    Just had one try and hatch on day 25 today, but sadly it didn't make it past the pipping stage. It makes sense due to it being very late to hatch, but still very sad. I opened the top part of the egg after examining it with a torch through the enlarged pip hole and seeing it had absorbed everything, even the veins in the membrane weren't active, and put it back in the incubator just in case of a miracle, but it hasn't shown any sign of life.

8. Quaillvr

Quaillvr Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2017
    . Awesome! Is there a chance these two are different quail. I hatched two sets of Calif Valley Quail and both groups hatched out between 21 and 24 days.

9. MageofMist

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    They are the same specie of quail, Chinese Painted, and all were put in the incubator at the same time, and we had no events that would impact the hatch rate such as power cuts or anything... So I guess those two were just late to the party. :p

Quaillvr likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by