Has anyone ever had quail eggs hatch on day 24 before?

MageofMist

Crowing
5 Years
Dec 9, 2016
Britain
Ok, so this is weird. All my other eggs hatched around day 18, which I saw as normal... Though I left the eggs in as a "what-if" scenario but didn't think would happen... Well, cue me sleepily walking up the stairs this morning to then hear little "whee whee whee"s coming from the brooder.

Confused I went to look, and saw TWO tiny fuzzballs darting about! I had checked it last night and there were no signs of them hatching.
:eek:

Two New.png
Not complaining though, I love the two new fuzzies. :)

Sounds like a cold spot possibly in the incubator.

Or they just wanted to be fashionably late to the party.

Sounds like a cold spot possibly in the incubator.

Or they just wanted to be fashionably late to the party.

I can check the incubator with the thermometer later, but the eggs were in the same area as the other quail eggs that hatched. I guess they just wanted to be fashionably late. :p

Great video, what kind are these? My coturnix all look like tiny little chipmunks.

Mine are Chinese Painted Quail/King Quail/Button Quail (they have many names XD)
The black ones are the blue-faced morph, the 'bee'/chipmunk ones are the red-breasted morph, and the yellow one is a white and the whitish one will either be a white or a silver.

Just had one try and hatch on day 25 today, but sadly it didn't make it past the pipping stage. It makes sense due to it being very late to hatch, but still very sad. I opened the top part of the egg after examining it with a torch through the enlarged pip hole and seeing it had absorbed everything, even the veins in the membrane weren't active, and put it back in the incubator just in case of a miracle, but it hasn't shown any sign of life.

Ok, so this is weird. All my other eggs hatched around day 18, which I saw as normal... Though I left the eggs in as a "what-if" scenario but didn't think would happen... Well, cue me sleepily walking up the stairs this morning to then hear little "whee whee whee"s coming from the brooder.

Confused I went to look, and saw TWO tiny fuzzballs darting about! I had checked it last night and there were no signs of them hatching.

View attachment 549508
. Awesome! Is there a chance these two are different quail. I hatched two sets of Calif Valley Quail and both groups hatched out between 21 and 24 days.

. Awesome! Is there a chance these two are different quail. I hatched two sets of Calif Valley Quail and both groups hatched out between 21 and 24 days.

They are the same specie of quail, Chinese Painted, and all were put in the incubator at the same time, and we had no events that would impact the hatch rate such as power cuts or anything... So I guess those two were just late to the party. :p

View attachment 549508
I naively thought I could put Quail eggs under my clucky chook last year. So I did, and unfortunately the hen didn't realise what was going on and stood on the first chicks that hatched killing them. I left the eggs where they were while I went in search of an incubator but couldn't get one right away , and the hen abandoned them. I lost track of how many days she had been on them.
When she had left them for 24 hrs I realised they had probably died and put them outside on a dish to bury later while I cleaned up. I forgot about the eggs and went back in the afternoon to deal with them , the sun was on them and the quail had started hatching. I bought an incubator and used it to set up a brooder box. Those four Quail grew to be strong and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom