Has anyone ever seen hens do this?!

katelk

Songster
6 Years
May 6, 2013
White Bluff, TN
I have a hen who has just started being broody in the last couple days. I have not even relocated he out of the main coop yet. Today I was in the yard giving the others some scrambled eggs which is one of their favorite treats. One hen I noticed ran to the coop, and a few seconds later my new broody came sprinting out for some treats. I figured she had abandoned her eggs so I went to check the nest, the other hen had taken her place.
I thought maybe that hen had kicked the broody out and taken over, but as soon as the broody finished her treat, they switched back! The broody has since not budged.
Is it possible that the other hen went to sit on the nest so the broody could have some treats? Lol

Best friends
love.gif

More than likely hen #2 saw the opportunity to lay an egg in that box and took advantage of the situation. Mine prefer to lay in a box that already has eggs in it. I would make sure the broody isn't sitting on any fresh eggs. Mark all the ones that she is supposed to be sitting on so you can remove any new eggs.

More than likely hen #2 saw the opportunity to lay an egg in that box and took advantage of the situation.  Mine prefer to lay in a box that already has eggs in it.  I would make sure the broody isn't sitting on any fresh eggs.  Mark all the ones that she is supposed to be sitting on so you can remove any new eggs.

I had already marked all the ones she was sitting on, so it's no big deal. She has been a finicky broody as she has abandoned 2 nests prior to this. That is why I figured she abandoned it again because of the treat.
It was so cute that someone sat on her nest till she got back though! Haha

Back
Top Bottom