Dealing with fighting hens

csb146

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2022
I’ve had my flock for about 2 years and all had been good. A few weeks ago one of my hens went broody and I “broke” her, but ever since then shes completely singled out and been picking on other hen. To the point now the other hen is missing almost all her head feathers and hinds in the coop. I took the aggressive hen and put her back in my dog crate “chicken jail” but I’m not really sure what my option are to fix the situation. All the birds have been together for so long and never had an issue.

Last edited:
How many in your flock? Do you have a rooster?

You are not alone, pretty sure I have seen three of these this week alone. Maybe fighting for a higher place in the pecking order happens more commonly in the fall?

How many in your flock? Do you have a rooster?

You are not alone, pretty sure I have seen three of these this week alone. Maybe fighting for a higher place in the pecking order happens more commonly in the fall?
I have 14 hens and no rooster. Neighbors aren’t thrilled about roosters. They have a large run area with multiple feeder and waterers, and I do my best to give them enrichment options. Hopefully it’s just some seasonal changing or something.

I’ve had my flock for about 2 years and all had been good. A few weeks ago one of my hens went broody and I “broke” her, but ever since then shes completely singled out and been picking on other hen. To the point now the other hen is missing almost all her head feathers and hinds in the coop. I took the aggressive hen and put her back in my dog crate “chicken jail” but I’m not really sure what my option are to fix the situation. All the birds have been together for so long and never had an issue.
When I break the broodies, their jail is a dog kennel on the other side of the yard. At dusk, we let anyone out of jail who runs back to the coop. In the morning, anyone who doesn't leave the coop gets taken to the "jail." I've never had issues, so I assume it's because they are part of the flock every night and every morning. Perhaps next time you could try doing that. It takes ours about 4 days of jail.

We have silkies, so it's an ongoing thing.

When I break the broodies, their jail is a dog kennel on the other side of the yard. At dusk, we let anyone out of jail who runs back to the coop. In the morning, anyone who doesn't leave the coop gets taken to the "jail." I've never had issues, so I assume it's because they are part of the flock every night and every morning. Perhaps next time you could try doing that. It takes ours about 4 days of jail.

We have silkies, so it's an ongoing thing.
That's a good idea. Do you let them sleep in the nesting box or do you put them up on the roost?

Is the crate in the coop?

Back
Top Bottom