Has anyone ever seen this on a turkey?

FWIW, the crest in crested ducks is a single gene mutation with dominant expression that results in skull defects that cause some ducklings to die before hatch or shortly thereafter. it shows up in all sorts of breeds now (because people like the look) but I'd rather not have it in my gene pool. a pair of crested ducks produce 1/4 failed eggs/dead ducklings (two crested gene copies), 1/2 carriers with crests (one crested gene copy) and 1/4 non-crested non-carriers (two normal gene copies). breeding a crested to a non-crested should produce 1/2 carriers with crests, and 1/2 non-crested non-carriers.

if its the same sort of gene mutation as in ducks, that's part of the info you'll want to know before culling or breeding.

considering the popularity of crested ducks, it's worth contemplating the market for crested turkeys. if you breed poults for sale, it would be good to know if the gene behaves the same as the one in ducks.

Thank you zzGypsy, that is good information to know!

Laggerdogger, I wasn't trying to criticize you, and please forgive me if it sounded that way. I was just trying to explain why I would use a turkey like that for breeding.

I think he looks way cool
cool.png

For save those genes .....mutation like that happen like 1 in a million. Crest ducks ,Crest geese, even crest parakeets.

Know to breed him/her mate back to mother or father,(best) or brother or sister...i would also keep,its brothers and sisters mating them together, or if you sell them ,let the person getting them what they have....

Now people who find new mutation ,be it color or something else......those first few years the birds will sell for alot more .seen it many time maybe even 10 times as much.

The snow flake bob white quail . new mutation. their eggs where selling on e-bay for over a 100.00 per dozen or 2.

Good luck with it.

Back
Top Bottom