Has anyone ever tried a bird cage??

TXPeepShow

Chirping
Mar 22, 2022
Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever kept chickens in one of these?
AD256EEF-FB48-47C7-A244-B468E1F0FF9F.png

I haven't used one, but as long as it is big enough (square feet of floor area) and protects the chickens from predators, it should work fine.

To my eyes, it looks like a fancy version of a chicken run that is tall enough for a person to stand up in.

I cannot tell how much floor area it has, but that would be an important point to check before making a decision whether to use it.

Last edited:
Nice aviary. Looks bigger than most of the coop kits people buy. I'd guess it's around 6ft diameter, so probably good for 2 chickens. No idea how you'd provide protection from the elements in something like that if you need it in your climate - would be a shame to have to add in some weird structure that didn't go with that aesthetic

That is a gorgeous bird cage, but these types of cages are designed for birds that utilize vertical air space, spending lots of time flying and hanging out up high. While chickens do like roosting and flying up some, they spend most of their time on the ground so ground space is much more important than air space. Like everyone has said, appropriate space for chickens is measured in floor space - height is more important for the chicken keeper! That chunk of change would be much better spent building an appropriate chicken run with lots of ground space.

Yes, that cage is a beautiful ornament and would class up any yard. I'd adore having one. But I'm skeptical it would be very useful for chickens.

I would buy it, if I had that kind of money, just to add class and charm to my property.

Back
Top Bottom