Has anyone ever tried storing eggs at room temperature?

My Aunt never washes off the natural barrier on the eggs. She does put them in the fridge though. And right before she sells a dozen. She washes them to look nice. That way they last much longer.

I read on the net some where about egg storage with no fridge. I will try to find it. It was very interesting. They actually stored the eggs in all different ways. And would taste one from each batch to see which way would last the longest.

I will try to find it.

Mine don't last more than a week anyway, and I just keep them in cartons stacked on the counter. I will scrape the majority of mud/poopies off of them before putting them in the carton, but don't wash them until just before use. I'll have to do an experiment, and have a week old refrigerated egg side-by-side with a week old unrefrigerated egg to see the difference. I just don't have enough room in the fridge for all the eggs!

Huh. Another topic we've been discussing. MIL and all the German family there don't refrigerate their eggs (SIL has backyard city chickens). OK, they also don't refrigerate a lot of foods I do. I tell DH that's fine in cold ol' Germany where its rarely above 70F, and the kitchens seem rarely above 60F; but here in Atlanta I will refrigerate my leftovers. Eggs, however, are still up for debate. Since we use them so quickly, keeping them on the countertop is only a hazard due to clumsy me and the ornery cat I guess. (the cat enjoys testing gravity's effect on various objects) I have been keeping them in the frig, especially since DH keeps sharing them with his buddies.
We only have five hens, so he'd better stop promising them out.

Oops. Will have to read on washing eggs now. I've only washed ones that were especially nasty looking...

When we first got chickens, I automatically refrigerated the eggs, but about a year ago or so, I started keeping them in a basket on the counter and have noticed that they definitely taste fresher that way. Also, sometimes our eggs may sit there for 2-3 weeks before they are used and I have never had one go bad. It took some getting used to, and people still think I'm crazy when I tell them, bit I like the unrefrigerated eggs so much better. . . I am careful to use the older eggs first.

I only leave my eggs out for a week and any not used by then go in the fridge. I sell a few dozen a week and those are always only a few days old so they don't go in the fridge until my customer takes them home. It is just easier for them not to worry about putting them in a community fridge and remembering to get them out at the end of the day.

Soiled dirty eggs I wash and put in the fridge for our own use. Right now have 19 pullets so we are using those eggs and I use the older girls eggs for customers.

Back
Top Bottom