Has anyone ever tried storing eggs at room temperature?

People get a funny look on their face when i say that it is ok to leave eggs on the counter. But I have for years and they are just fine.

The only time I do refridgerate them is when I want hard boiled eggs.

If you add your cold eggs to boiling water and continue to boil for 14-16 minutes then run them under cold water until the eggs are cold--they peel like a dream.

I think it has to do with the cold meeting the hot, because it does work with room temp eggs but I find I get the occasional egg that is still a little hard to peel.

I read in GRIT magazine that you can leave eggs on the counter for up to 3 months and they are still good ! I couldnt believe it when i read it....so i read it again.

3 months
old.gif

I dont think we are going to find any volunteers.
lol.png

I have done that just to find out. I read that too. Some of the eggs did not pass the float test. Most did.

I did not bring myself to eat them however. Just could not go there.
smile.png

I used to leave eggs out on the counter for 2 or 3 weeks. Never had a bad one. I stopped leaving them out because I started forgetting to put them in the fridge after a few weeks.

Hello everyone, we moved to Zambia September 2007. One of the first things we noticed is that eggs are never refrigerated here. We are a family of 8 so purchase several dozen at a time. We have never had a spoiled egg.

When I studied in Botswana, that was one of the things that made me go, "huh!" - the eggs in the stores were not refrigerated. I guess it works if entire countries are handling eggs that way.​

If I remember right, I believe we are the only country that would refigerate our eggs totally.

I've had eggs sitting out for a few days they are just fine!

Also I wanted to keep some decorative eggs, I just let them sit in cartons for a year and if you break them open, the egg whites are all dried out and yolk is like a hard ball. No oozing or weeping. I got some that are already six years old! You do not need to blow the contents out, just let them sit out for a very long time! Be sure to keep them away from cats or kids...preferably on top of refigerator or in closet or shelf out of reach. Once in a while do check on them to make sure they dont have hairline cracks that they would ooze. Use your nose if suspecious!

Here is the eggs that I use for decorating.
HatchingEggs001.jpg

I have always kept my eggs at room temps but the look on peoples faces when I offer them eggs from the counter is one of 'he** no! Followed by a polite refusal. Being from a country where room temp eggs is the normal, I find it somewhat irritating to try to re-educate people. (OK, so patience isn't my long suit, either, but that's another story) For simplicity's sake I refrigerate what I don't eat and say 'oh no! your eggs are refrigerated!

Back in the UK eggs are sold in the stores from the shelves...not refrgerated at all. I rarely fridge my eggs.... they sit on the counter in the cool area and they get used up.

Never had them go bad on me, and they sat out for over 2-3 weeks at a time.

OK - so I tried this and the eggs in the basket on my kitchen table seem to feel cooler than room temperature, even though some were still warm when I took them from the nests.

As far as tasting better, I had some non-refrigerated eggs cooked over easy and honestly couldn't tell any difference.
They DO taste better than storebought : 9

And they are purtier
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom