Has anyone ever worked with USDA to import fertilized eggs?

addctd2plnts

Songster
Aug 24, 2019
St. Charles County, MO
Hi,

I have a question and it's driving me crazy. I'm pretty good at research and there simply is nothing about this. I'm interested in domestic duck species that are present in other counties or expanding the genetics of domestic rare breeds here. I understand why they may have rules about not importing poultry. I'm a human doctor, so I get it. But can you import fertilized eggs? I'm reading scientific articles. It looks like if the flock was official and inspected several times in the 90 days before egg travel and eggs were sanitized on the outside, then brought to quarantine facility for 30 days post hatch, there should be no danger. All the diseases I've seen so far say there's been no proof of transmission to hatching via hen or the chick would never hatch. I'll keep reading, but I'm VERY interested to meet anyone who has imported fertile eggs!

To further my frustration, I can't find anything on the topic on the USDA site either......

TIA

Hi,

I have a question and it's driving me crazy. I'm pretty good at research and there simply is nothing about this. I'm interested in domestic duck species that are present in other counties or expanding the genetics of domestic rare breeds here. I understand why they may have rules about not importing poultry. I'm a human doctor, so I get it. But can you import fertilized eggs? I'm reading scientific articles. It looks like if the flock was official and inspected several times in the 90 days before egg travel and eggs were sanitized on the outside, then brought to quarantine facility for 30 days post hatch, there should be no danger. All the diseases I've seen so far say there's been no proof of transmission to hatching via hen or the chick would never hatch. I'll keep reading, but I'm VERY interested to meet anyone who has imported fertile eggs!

To further my frustration, I can't find anything on the topic on the USDA site either......

TIA
No idea, BUT, I did talk to someone who imported breeding pair of unique geese, so it must be possible…though red tape.

Back
Top Bottom