Has anyone grown potatoes from seed? (TPS)

Sally PB

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
Has anyone grown potatoes from True Potato Seed (TPS), ie, from a seedball the plant grew? I got three seedballs last year. I've never gotten one before, and so I thought it would be fun to grow a few. The seeds are tiny, and they'll be a breeding experiment, as I have no idea which variety pollinated the one that grew the ball. An uncontrolled breeding experiment. :gig

I'm hoping someone here has done this and will share their experience.

I'd heard of it, but never gotten any seed balls. They look like a tiny green tomato.

Attachments

• IMG_0470.JPG
    IMG_0470.JPG
    873.4 KB · Views: 10
We’ve had some potatoes set seed balls, but haven’t tried to plant any seeds. Maybe I’ll have to read up on it sometime.

this year, I’m going to try to start onions from seed, so that’s my new-to-me trial this year.

I’ve ordered seed potatoes, 3 kinds, so it will be interesting to see if they produce any seed balls.

I planted potato seeds. Started them under lights indoors when I started my tomatoes. Moved them outside into bags and treated them like regular potatoes. The plants were not as strong and productive as plants from seed potatoes. Didn't bother doing it again. Hindsight, might be worth starting them indoors much earlier.

We’ve had some potatoes set seed balls, but haven’t tried to plant any seeds. Maybe I’ll have to read up on it sometime.

this year, I’m going to try to start onions from seed, so that’s my new-to-me trial this year.

I’ve ordered seed potatoes, 3 kinds, so it will be interesting to see if they produce any seed balls.
I always plant onions from seed randomly all over my garden beds to help deter bad insects😉

Back
Top Bottom