Has anyone had any good experiences with Delewares?

linebacker

Songster
15 Years
Nov 6, 2007
North West Tennessee
I thought I had found the breed for me; but I havent found a single good comment on any forum from actual deleware owners. All the research on the web I have found says they are docile, fast growing, egg laying winter hardy birds. I know it is easier sometimes to state the negative instead of positive, however if anyone does have any info good or bad please let me know.

My goal is to get around 25 day old chicks and use tractors to raise them on pasture and cull to 8 hens and one rooster and then collect eggs for eating and hatching some for future replacement layers and freezer stocking.

Thanks
Brad

I LOVE MINE!!!!!!!!!!! Eglentine is the best. I am working on my breed page now. Eglentine is from Murray McMurray and she is everything you have read. She is active, happy, talkative and doesn't mind being held once you get her. the cold weather does not seem to affect her, she still gives me a beautiful egg every day. I know there are bad bloodlines out there but get yours from Murray! Handel them often and give lots of treats (mine love tomatoes) and they will love you forever. You do not have to cull, Murray sexes their Delaware so get the 8 hens and 1 roo and get something else for fun or for a friend.

Here is the start of my page
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1111-Delawares

Last edited:
I only have one Delaware...so I don't have much experience with the breed...but our girl "Della" is the alpha hen of our bunch...she's quite vocal and aggressive, but also super curious and friendly. She's crowed a few times. She's been a pretty good egg layer. She's very pretty too! I love the bit of black on the neck and tail feathers. Go for it!

Back
Top Bottom