Has anyone had success in raising a one-legged chicken?

Emily26

Chirping
Apr 12, 2021
I have a little orpington chick (1 1/2 weeks) with a deformed hock joint, it's in a splint (been on nearly a week) to get it to set in a more "natural" angle. She barely puts any weight on it and hops around on the good leg using the other leg only as a prop on occasion. She doesn't seem to be in pain and eats and drinks fine. She get around with the other chicks ok just is a bit slower than them and rests a bit more. She even managed to hop up onto my arm the other day using her wing to balance.

I'd like to try and raise her, has anyone else had success with chickens with one useable leg? I'd love to hear your stories.

By the sounds of it, your hen sounds like she'll be fine. She might need some extra help sometimes, and will probably never be able to roost on a perch, but other than that, she sounds like she's doing good for her condition. :thumbsup

The rooster that I had, Kai, didn't sound as good as your hen. His leg was always tripping him up, and slowing him down. He only lived a few months, unfortunately. :(

I have a rooster that's been one legged for almost 2 years and also blind in one eye. He gets around fine and is a big rooster. I found chicken prosthetics on Etsy I've tried. Not expensive.

Back
Top Bottom