Has anyone had this issue?

SJUDD

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2011
Central Coast, California
Hello. I have 4 ducks and now 2 dogs. I have had the ducks for 6 months. 1 of the dogs I have had for 7 years and the other I purchased from the humane society 3 weeks ago.
Upon taking the new dog to the vet for examination after purchase, he found what looked like chemical burns on her feet that had gotten infected. We put her on medication and after one week, it is clearing up and she is doing really good. I called the humane society and spoke to them about this, as I do not use pesticides or fertilizer or any chemicals for that matter in my yard. They researched and found that the chemicals they were using to clean the kennels could be caustic if not rinsed properly and changed their cleaning supplies
woot.gif
.... I set up an appointment for my dog to go be rechecked the next week. Two days before the appointment, my older dog started showing the same symptoms so I took her along to the appointment. The vet now thinks it is something in my home or that the infection was spread by the other dog to my dog. He was a little stumped as to what it could be that would be contagious, especially since he was sure it was an infected chemical burn.
We started talking and he asked me if the dogs play in the ducks water. I said no, the ducks are in a gated area away from the dogs. After talking a little more, I remembered that I fertilize my lawn and my flower beds with the water from the ducks ponds. (which, btw works really well, my trees and flowers are thriving and very happy) He said that it was a possibility the nitrogen levels in the duck poop water might me too high and is burning my dogs paws. I am not sure I agree with this as the older dog has never had an issue until now but my husband asked me to put it out to the forum and see if any of you know of this happening to other duck & dog owners.
Thank you!
Sharyl

Hello. I have 4 ducks and now 2 dogs. I have had the ducks for 6 months. 1 of the dogs I have had for 7 years and the other I purchased from the humane society 3 weeks ago.
Upon taking the new dog to the vet for examination after purchase, he found what looked like chemical burns on her feet that had gotten infected. We put her on medication and after one week, it is clearing up and she is doing really good. I called the humane society and spoke to them about this, as I do not use pesticides or fertilizer or any chemicals for that matter in my yard. They researched and found that the chemicals they were using to clean the kennels could be caustic if not rinsed properly and changed their cleaning supplies :woot .... I set up an appointment for my dog to go be rechecked the next week. Two days before the appointment, my older dog started showing the same symptoms so I took her along to the appointment. The vet now thinks it is something in my home or that the infection was spread by the other dog to my dog. He was a little stumped as to what it could be that would be contagious, especially since he was sure it was an infected chemical burn.
We started talking and he asked me if the dogs play in the ducks water. I said no, the ducks are in a gated area away from the dogs. After talking a little more, I remembered that I fertilize my lawn and my flower beds with the water from the ducks ponds. (which, btw works really well, my trees and flowers are thriving and very happy) He said that it was a possibility the nitrogen levels in the duck poop water might me too high and is burning my dogs paws. I am not sure I agree with this as the older dog has never had an issue until now but my husband asked me to put it out to the forum and see if any of you know of this happening to other duck & dog owners.
Thank you!
Sharyl
My dogs often drink the duck water and have in no way showed signs of this at all. Sometimes my duck water is pretty nasty too :sick

Sounds like this is a contagion rather than an environmental thing. Especially since you have a new dog, and it showed signs before your older dog did. That's my two cents.

hmm how odd, i have doubts it's the ducks.. i mean, i have several dogs, one is a big lab she will go in the ducks pools ... and i have ducks who still fly into the dog yard....

Nobody has an issue, there are smaller dogs too, i tend to agree with Aoxa as the original dog who had it is new, and now your other dog has it that is something else, but who knows what, hopefully you can get to the bottom of it.

hmm how odd, i have doubts it's the ducks.. i mean, i have several dogs, one is a big lab she will go in the ducks pools ... and i have ducks who still fly into the dog yard....

Nobody has an issue, there are smaller dogs too, i tend to agree with Aoxa as the original dog who had it is new, and now your other dog has it that is something else, but who knows what, hopefully you can get to the bottom of it.
My dogs also eat the poop directly :sick

The only thing I know that they can get from this is Camplyobacter bacteria. If they then kiss you after eating poop, you can get it as well. I have.. Not fun. I was in the hospital for a week.

Since then my dog is not allowed to kiss me on the face. :sick

My dogs also eat the poop directly
sickbyc.gif

The only thing I know that they can get from this is Camplyobacter bacteria. If they then kiss you after eating poop, you can get it as well. I have.. Not fun. I was in the hospital for a week.
Since then my dog is not allowed to kiss me on the face.
sickbyc.gif

oh yikes! yeah, fortunately, mine are not so into that, they prefer to lick the ducks.. oh, yeah you bet they love that.
barnie.gif

My dogs also eat the poop directly :sick

Since then my dog is not allowed to kiss me on the face. :sick

oh yikes! yeah, fortunately, mine are not so into that, they prefer to lick the ducks.. oh, yeah you bet they love that. :barnie
:lol:

Just googled that bacteria... I am so sorry you went through that. Doesn't look like any fun at all
I had a really bad case of it. It started giving me ulcers and my bowels stopped moving altogether. They normally don't have to treat this type of poisoning with antibiotics, but without them, it would have been really bad :S

Now we just assume it came from our chicken poop, as chicken is the main cause of this bacteria (usually contaminated meat), but I hadn't eaten any meat recently, and I had only had my chickens a couple of weeks when this started. It took me months to recover!

Lesson learned.. Never let your dogs eat chicken poo and kiss you freely. Either clean the dogs mouth out really well, don't let it eat poop, or don't let it kiss you. :lol:

I had a really bad case of it. It started giving me ulcers and my bowels stopped moving altogether. They normally don't have to treat this type of poisoning with antibiotics, but without them, it would have been really bad :S
Now we just assume it came from our chicken poop, as chicken is the main cause of this bacteria (usually contaminated meat), but I hadn't eaten any meat recently, and I had only had my chickens a couple of weeks when this started. It took me months to recover!
Lesson learned.. Never let your dogs eat chicken poo and kiss you freely. Either clean the dogs mouth out really well, don't let it eat poop, or don't let it kiss you.
lol.png
No more dog kisses for me!!! Even though the new dog can't control her licker!!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom