Has anyone heard of a "Hen Helmet"?

katyoh7

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 26, 2013
Hi All,
First of all thanks for all of your input. A quick backround; I currently have 13 hens and 5 roos all about 1 year old now. I know that I have too many roos per hens, however, that was the luck (or unluck) of the draw, it is what it is. My smallest hen and latest to develop is an Old English Game Hen named "Gemma". She is the tiniest of the flock and as sweet as can be. She (along with others) will always hop up on my lap to visit. She has come to me in times of distress (an aggressive roo) and I will hold her for an hour or more while she relaxes. My problem is this: she has finally matured and is being mated aggressively. Her head is picked clean in a portion and bloodied, and scabbed. Tonight I held her and put Neosporin on her wounds. Is there anything else I can do without getting rid of the roos as I have a real problem doing that. I can't eat chicken any more (I know, crazy) and since I raised them from peeps, they are part of my family (me, my 2 German Shepherds, a rescue horse and my chickens). Is there another solution to this? Or do I just grow a backbone and get rid of 3 roos. The roos all get along now since "Russell Crow" went to the artic region. Thanks so much. I look forward to any and all input.
hu.gif

Katy

Two effective solutions would to build a separate pen for the excess roosters or get rid of them. Roosters breed hens - that's just the way it is, and with increasing daylength testosterone levels will increase along with mating activity.

Back
Top Bottom