Has anyone made a cone of shame for their ducks or chickens? Depluming mites

hollyravenheart

Chirping
Mar 11, 2017
Leavenworth Washington
My chickens and ducks have depluming mites. I’m going to dip them in Dechra lime plus dip (sulfur) You’re supposed to let them air dry and not ingest so I’m wondering if anyone has been successful making cone of shame for a duck or chicken, or been successful treating depluming mites with sulfur lime dip. Anyone?

Attachments

• 1153705B-DC0A-4ED5-9B44-59A1D1DF70FC.jpeg
    1153705B-DC0A-4ED5-9B44-59A1D1DF70FC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
I can't help with the mites, but first, are you sure that method is safe? Not integrating you just curious. Have you looked at the cones vets use? You could probably buy one at a vet office.
Good luck with your duckies!

I can't help with the mites, but first, are you sure that method is safe? Not integrating you just curious. Have you looked at the cones vets use? You could probably buy one at a vet office.
Good luck with your duckies!
Fairly sure it’s safe so long as they don’t eat it while it’s wet. Sulfur lime dip is mentioned for depluming mites in university papers and it’s safe for kittens, otherwise the only recommended treatment is ivermectin which isn’t cleared for poultry use

Fairly sure it’s safe so long as they don’t eat it while it’s wet. Sulfur lime dip is mentioned for depluming mites in university papers and it’s safe for kittens, otherwise the only recommended treatment is ivermectin which isn’t cleared for poultry use
Okay. Then it appears you’ve got it. Do you have a vet clinic nearby? Perhaps you could ask if you could buy a cone from them.

Dont duck them! Its unsafe to get an unhealthy bird wet. I bathed my chickens in lice shampoo, and then spent 20 minutes in a green house at 80+ degrees with a hair drier trying to warm them up after suffering from hypothermia.
Of course, these are ducks were talking about, so maybe its different for water fowl, but I personally wouldn't want to risk it. If you plan on soaking them to the skin since thats were the mites will be, I highly advise against this approach.
Use permethrin. Its kills mites, lice, etc, and should solve your problem.

I have read the studies for sulfur and depluming mites. I don't know of a cone, but maybe make one with a pool noodle. I'd just be worried they could get it caught somewhere.
I'm not sure the others understand, but depluming mites aren't the same as regular mites and treatment is different. Depluming mites are in the feather shaft and they literally eat away at the feather. You won't see them by eye. What you can see is the feathers deteriorating.

Me and all my friends use ivermectin(on chickens). Never had any problems. Ducks might be different but probably not.

Back
Top Bottom