Has anyone made homemade tortillas?

Quote:
When I was in high school, the french teacher said she had made a traditional American Thankgiving dinner while living in Paris, serving corn on the cob. The french would not eat it because it was animal food.

Imp

What kind of tips are you looking for? Masa is maseca (spanish) and its usually sold in a white bag with a picture of a corn on it. For Corn tortillas you use Maseca that is the name and the company that makes it. For tips on roundness try using a tortilla press with a piece of plastic bag on top and the bottom of the press so the tortilla does not stick...^^

Quote:
Well, I didn't have a tortilla press and they were coming out oblong with my rolling pin. I went to the website Wildorchid053 put up and that helped alot with the recipe. I think alittle lard and salt will help with the texture and taste alot. How thin are they suppose to be? As thin as I can get them? I have already bought the Masa. Why isn't it yellow? This may sound like a stupid question, but I thought since the corn tortillas you buy in the store were yellow, the masa would be yellow. Do they put food coloring in the store bought ones?

Hooray for you that you are making your own! Don't let your friends discourage you. I've been trying for years and still can't quite make the perfect round. Lots of my friends here in San Diego know how to make them; apparently there's no special trick...White or yellow, tastes the same - both are especially good when homemade. All you need is practice. It's like making bread...takes awhile to get it right. Make sure the masa is gooey moist, and wet your hands before taking up a ball. Pat pat pat back and forth between your hands, rotating the dough as you do. In a minute or so you should have a (roughly) round flattish disk. As soon as you're done patting, turn your hand over to peel off the tortilla onto a heated pan or griddle. I have a tortilla press but don't use it - for some reason the tortillas don't taste as good. Perfection is overrated: it's the lumps and thin parts of a homemade tortilla that are the tastiest. The ideal thickness is about 1/8 inch, but it's hard to get it that thin. Flour tortillas are easier: I use the bread machine to knead the dough and then just roll them out with a pin. I make them sometimes with butter for an extra special treat :p

I make flour tortillas. they are THE BEST!

HOMEMADE FLOUR TORTILLAS

(recipe from) ROCKIN' ROBIN'S COOKING MEXICAN RECIPES ~http//www.cooking -mexican-recipes.com

2 cups white flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp veg. oil
3/4 cup warm water
DIVIDE THE DOUGH into golf-ball sized balls, let rest 10 minutes.
ROLL the TORTILLAS to a 4" circle,1/8" thick.
COOK TORTILLAS in a cast iron or non-stick skillet, over medium high heat. It takes about 30 seconds for the nice brown spots to cook, turn, tghen cook 2nd side 30 seconds. JKeep them warm in a towel., or some foil works too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the imput everyone! I'm going to give it another try!
thumbsup.gif

I have made the masa tortillas as well and don't have a press. Yes they do come out funny shaped when you roll them but they taste good. I just use the recipe on the bag but may try the one listed here with the shortening and hot water.

We eat them with a hamburger &refried beans. I fry the hamburger then add water and taco seasoning and simmer according to the seasoning mix package. I then add refried beans (either canned or homemade) We eat it with the tortillas, grated cheese, salsa and sour cream.
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom