Has anyone ordered from Welp Hatchery? Question!!!!!

RW19290

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Southern California
I've just placed an order for the brown-egg special and I'm wondering about how long does it take for them to ship the chicks. Do they email you for the shipping date? Thanks! Ruby

I dont know about their service but, you should go with Meyer hatchery next time or cancel your order because they are MUCH cheaper and the service is great

Actually Ideal has assorted layers still for sale also
smile.png

I ordered my chickies from them this past summer. I travel a lot for work, so I had a specific date that I wanted them to ship on (3 day priority shipping actually arrived in 2 days) and they were very accomodating. They emailed me the day before my ship date.

I can't recall exactly how many of which I ordered, but I ordered the 25 minimum alltogether - 8 EEs, 8 Silver Laced Wyandottes and 9 Marans, I believe. They sent 29 chicks correctly proportioned to my order.

29 total rec'd
1 died on day one of unknown reasons
1 has a slipped tendon and is lame; I have not culled her, but she won't be contributing to my gene pool when I breed next summer

Out of 28 viable chicks, I ended up with 4 Roosters and 24 hens. One of the hens subsequently died because she got trampled and broke her neck, so that wasn't their fault.

I think statistically, they were a little heavy on the roosters seeing as I paid for all pullets. Besides the one with the slipped tendon, the rest are healthy and thriving. They should come into lay in the next month or so.

I ordered late in the season and there wasn't much of a selection from most of the hatcheries. They were the only ones who had all three of the breeds that I wanted. Their reputation was not horrible, so I placed my order.

I originally was going to order from McMurray, but I had heard that there may have been some issues with a disease breakout with some of their hatchings and I didn't want to chance it as this is my first time raising chickens in 20 years and the first time I raised them from day old chicks. I understand that they are past that, now.

All in all, I am satisfied, but still a little bummed over the number of roosters. 4 is too many and I hadn't originally planned on eating them.

Hope this helps. Happy chicky blessings to you!

Quote:
But I wanted them NOW and Welp was the only hatchery that sold female chicks during the winter.

I know that, I am ordering Black Astra. this weekend. They will come the first week of December. There selection is limited but they do have pullets for sale. Its up to you I was just saying that Welp wasnt the only hatchery that has pullets for sale right now.

Quote:
But I wanted them NOW and Welp was the only hatchery that sold female chicks during the winter.

I know that, I am ordering Black Astra. this weekend. They will come the first week of December. There selection is limited but they do have pullets for sale. Its up to you I was just saying that Welp wasnt the only hatchery that has pullets for sale right now.

ok thanks. Maybe i'll order from them next time.

Back
Top Bottom