Has anyone ordered Marans or other chicks from My Pet Chicken?

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Day-Old-Baby-Chicks/Rare-Marans-Collection-p740.aspx

If you ordered marans- were the legs feathered?

If you ordered from them other breeds, how was shipping and quality?

Thanks!
Where are you located fromchicktochick?

Have you checked out one of the many marans threads on BYC?

What do you want - cuckoo, wheaten, black copper, blue copper, splash, silver birchen etc...
PICK your color and then hop over to that marans thread. Then watch the pictures and commentary being posted. Odds are you will find a breeder near by selling what you are looking for.

Good Luck and I will see you again if you pop over to the BLACK copper marans threadS - YES there are more than one...

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Day-Old-Baby-Chicks/Rare-Marans-Collection-p740.aspx

If you ordered marans- were the legs feathered?

If you ordered from them other breeds, how was shipping and quality?

Thanks!

I ordered my chicks from My pet chicken . Com.
I ordered a RIR, a Buff Orpington a Welsummer and a Columibian Wyndotte. The chicks arrived great, energetic hungry. They ate and drank quickly. The post office called me at 7:30 am as soon as they arrived so I could pick them up right away. They are now 5 months old and very friendly.

Hi all! This is my first ever posting on BYC as I am a new member. I ordered 9 chicks from My Pet Chicken and they shipped October 15th, got them the next day. They were healthy and active, packaged well and had a heat pack under the matting on the floor of the box. I did not order Marans but I did order 1 EE, 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Partridge Rocks, 2 Australorps, 2 Speckled Sussex. The Partridge Rocks are very slow to develop I might add. That is the only concern I have, the rest of the order is great!

I have three Black Copper Marans from My Pet Chicken. They arrived happy and healthy on August 9th. Their legs are currently "lightly" feathered. They're funny, never stray far from each other, and have accepted their place in the bottom of my 14 chicken pecking order with grace. I have no idea how well they represent their breed. One has a copper collar. The other two are mostly black. Can't wait for those dark, dark brown eggs!

I would never order anything from my pet chicken. Here is why. I ordered 20 Rhode Island Red chicks from them. I did say I would accept substitutes, which is my own mistake, and wound up with 20 Austrolorps. Of the original 20 I received, 4 were dead in the box and and 4 more died within the first 24 hours. This was not my first time with day old chicks and have successfully raised them several times before, having ordered them from the local feed store. They had proper food, heat, lighting, bedding, etc. I was waiting at the post office for the mail to come in on the day the chicks were supposed to arrive, picked them up and rushed home (20 mins) to get them in a brooder. You can always expect to lose one or two chicks, as they are pretty fragile, but I have never had a 40% casualty rate before.

I found the customer service response to this situation absolutely deplorable and unacceptable. The initial response from My Pet Chicken was basically, "Too bad for you, sometimes chicks die, and we can't do anything for you." After several phone calls and emails, they finally agreed to send 7 chicks at no charge, but I had to pay for shipping. With My Pet Chicken shipping is usually equal to or exceeds the costs of the chicks in my area. I expressed to them several times that I did not feel that this was an acceptable solution, but I needed to replace the birds lost so I took what I could get out of them.

Part II- I ordered 7 Rhode Island Reds, 6 females and 1 male. They were supposed to send a heat pack with the package this time. They did not send a heat pack and one arrived dead, one more died in the first 24 hours. Furthermore, instead of 1 Rooster, I now have 3. I did not even bother to complain to My Pet Chicken about how their unacceptable "solution" to the initial issues became even more unacceptable. I will never do business with them again and encourage others to avoid them as well. I have befriended a couple of other folks at farmers' markets who raise chickens and they speak highly of McMurray Hatchery, and I will try them next time.

At any rate, I advise you in the strongest possible terms to avoid do any business with My Pet Chicken.

I would never order anything from my pet chicken. Here is why. I ordered 20 Rhode Island Red chicks from them. I did say I would accept substitutes, which is my own mistake, and wound up with 20 Austrolorps. Of the original 20 I received, 4 were dead in the box and and 4 more died within the first 24 hours. This was not my first time with day old chicks and have successfully raised them several times before, having ordered them from the local feed store. They had proper food, heat, lighting, bedding, etc. I was waiting at the post office for the mail to come in on the day the chicks were supposed to arrive, picked them up and rushed home (20 mins) to get them in a brooder. You can always expect to lose one or two chicks, as they are pretty fragile, but I have never had a 40% casualty rate before.

I found the customer service response to this situation absolutely deplorable and unacceptable. The initial response from My Pet Chicken was basically, "Too bad for you, sometimes chicks die, and we can't do anything for you." After several phone calls and emails, they finally agreed to send 7 chicks at no charge, but I had to pay for shipping. With My Pet Chicken shipping is usually equal to or exceeds the costs of the chicks in my area. I expressed to them several times that I did not feel that this was an acceptable solution, but I needed to replace the birds lost so I took what I could get out of them.

Part II- I ordered 7 Rhode Island Reds, 6 females and 1 male. They were supposed to send a heat pack with the package this time. They did not send a heat pack and one arrived dead, one more died in the first 24 hours. Furthermore, instead of 1 Rooster, I now have 3. I did not even bother to complain to My Pet Chicken about how their unacceptable "solution" to the initial issues became even more unacceptable. I will never do business with them again and encourage others to avoid them as well. I have befriended a couple of other folks at farmers' markets who raise chickens and they speak highly of McMurray Hatchery, and I will try them next time.

At any rate, I advise you in the strongest possible terms to avoid do any business with My Pet Chicken.

That is just horrible. I have my hens from MPC and I had a wonder experience.

This past summer I ordered 6 chicks from My Pet Chicken. I did not get Marans, but got 2 Easter Eggers, 2 Barred Rocks, 1 Columbian Wyandotte, and 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte. I had originally ordered 2 Columbians, but they called me on the shipment day and said they had a bad hatch of the Columbians and would I want to wait a week or accept a substitute. I chose to take a Silver Laced Wyandotte instead of waiting because I'm a teacher and I wanted to be home when the chicks were young and it was getting close to the end of summer. They all arrived happy and healthy and have adapted to their new coop.

I think I would be a little hesitant to order chicks from any hatchery when the weather is cold. Heat pack or not, once they leave the hatchery they are at the mercy of the USPS until you get them. My post office was great and called me as soon as they arrived.

Back
Top Bottom