Has anyone planted hops outside the run for shade?

gale65

Songster
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
north central indiana
My Coop
My Coop
I read in a magazine that it grows up to 25 ft per year and comes back every year. I'm looking for easy grow hardy plants that will come back every year to plant outside our run for shade. I prefer to avoid grapes or any other of that type of fruit since it would be eaten up by wild birds who will then poop color all over our place. So I thought maybe the hops...

While I don't have any experience with coops as I'm still in the planning phase of chicken-ing, I can say that hops grow like crazy. But mostly they grow like crazy upward. The higher you can give them something to grow on, the happier they will be. They don'w grow as much horizontally as other vines, though, so if you're looking for more coverage you might need more plants. I would say a single plant given 2-3 pieces of twine to anchor to covers about 2-3 feet of horizontal space. They have nice wide leaves and I don't *think* they're toxic to animals, but you might want to check. It also takes a couple years for them to reach their fullest hight potential. And if you are or know a home brewer, they would *love* the fresh hops. I know lots of home brewers are dividing their rhizomes right now for the spring so you might be able to find a bunch of plants pretty cheap. Hope this helps!

I was thinking about planting hops too, but for brewing, not for shade. For a shade vine, you might consider Wisteria.

I don't have hops,but my clematis grows well.I have to gaurd my grapes from the hens more than the wild birds.Give the hops a try.It has many uses.If it was sold locally I would buy some.

I have grapes growing along the top of the fence behind where I placed my coop. It covers the fence every year with vines.
I'm gonna let them grow up on & cover the coop, this summer.

I've heard that hops is a fantastic plant for chickens and that they love to eat it! I'd be really interested to know if anyone else uses it!

If you want lots of hops for shade go with "cascade" for a hop variety. It is well know amongst home brewers to be nearly a pest for growing so fast. It is also the hop of choice for many american pale ale recipes so you score twice. Some of the other hop varieties are not so easy to grow.

If you do not mind replanting each year, I would consider old fashioned pole beans. They will seriously cover whatever you put them on and for a bonus you get beans, or your chickens do.

Cheers,
Jerry

Back
Top Bottom