Has anyone seen this before?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jessi223, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Jessi223

Jessi223 New Egg

Jul 29, 2013
    I am concerned about the chicken that laid this egg. Has anyone seen this before and know what lead to this? I found it on the ground. The first egg she laid was so frail it broke in the nest. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. christie22701

christie22701 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    When my pullets first started laying eggs I had several eggs that were soft and broke in the nest, I would just throw the soft shell to them and they would eat it. It's very common and went on for several weeks. Sometimes they don't break. I would just throw them on the ground, the egg would break and the chickens would eat them up. I don't know if you have a problem on your hands or not but I'm guessing probably not.

3. This is normal. You can research what will happen in the first month or so with pullets and it should answer a lot for ya. No need to worry about it. You may likely see more of it.

Wish ya the best.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Make sure they have access to oyster shell.

-Kathy

5. Jessi223

Jessi223 New Egg

Jul 29, 2013
    Thanks everybody! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by